Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decent 2x10 setup for not too much $?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kap'n kro, Dec 30, 2003.

1. kap'n kro

kap'n kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Ok, Christmas has past, and its time to put some of my money into a much needed replacement of my current setup. I've narrowed it down a bit, but I could use some help.

I'd like to get a head and 2x10 cab that could handle small to medium sized venues, but could be upgraded later to play larger venues and clubs. (I'd like to eventually add a 1x15 to it) I'd need it to be able to be as versatile as possible, as I never know what style of stuff I'll be brought on to do next, and I'd like both the cab and head combined to be under or around $800 if possible.

Any suggestions that would give me a starting point of what I should try out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. hey this is the setup i am workin on right now but i already have the amp and a 15 cabinet i am very pleased wiht my head its a fender bxr400 dual bass they can be found for less than 200 on ebay and you could pick up a brand new avatar 2x10 and a 1x15 for 560 shipped and then the head will be less than 200 so you are looking at a max of $760 for your entire setup if you get the cabinets configured for 4 ohms you have 2 sweet cabinets and 400 watts and that should do just about any gig u need it too withought a PA.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

great stuff that's inexpensive, and well made.

or try an Acme B2 2x10. fuller range and slams out tons of low end, than most 2x10's.

www.avatarspeakers.com
    www.acmebass.com

head wise, look on ebay. SWR, Fender, Carvin, Ampeg, all are good brands that should fall within your search.

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Nemesis! I love my 2x10. Get 'em from Gard, he'll hook you up. Watch out for the Acme though... unless you have gobs of power they won't be as loud as you need (read: inefficient).

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well there are a few ways you could go....Avatar cabinets are pretty hot right now. Priced right too. I don't think you could go wrong there! Another option is an Ampeg SVT210HE. I like these cabs. They have a really clear sound with nice punch in the low mids. As for a head, you have several options as well. You could go for a Hartke 3500. Really clear sounding, and quite versatile. They go for around $300 on Ebay. Gallien Krueger's can be found low priced as well.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    So $800 is your price range, and you want a versatile tone.

Cabs:
    I keep on hearing about how flat the response of Acme cabs are, and that will help out in the versatility department. A flat response will let you EQ to get the tone you want, without the cab itself coloring your tone. But, Acmes are too inefficient to make me want to get one. You'd need much more power to get a similar volume to a more efficient speaker like something from the EA CXL series.
    I hear alot about Avatar, but I don't own one or tried one so I can't be too much help here. Other than saying, people on this forum rave about what a great value they are. For the price they are offering them for, I don't see how you would lose much.
    If you are willing to go used, an Eden 2x10 sounds great and should be somewhere in the $400 range. Same with the SWR 2x10. Personally, I don't care for the Carvin or Fender cabs. But, it doesn't mean that you can't coax a usable tone out of them.
    When selecting a cab, you should look into the cab you will be paring it with in the future. If one cab is more efficient than the other, it will cause one speaker to sound louder than the other.

Head:
    Your cabs will, in part, will determine what kind of head to get. If you are using an inefficient speaker like the Acmes, you'll need a more powerful head. Also the impedance (ohms) of your cabs will determine the proper head. If you have 2 4 ohm cabs in parallel, then you'll need an amp that can run 2 ohms, otherwise you'll fry the amp. For your price range, I recommend the SWR SM400 or SM400S. Really nice hi-fi sound with a little edge and tube warmth. Plus it has nice features like a tuner out, crossover, and limiter. I like mine alot. You can get one used for around $400. If you have a little more to spend and want more clarity, an EA I-Amp 350 or 500 ($450-$700) are great heads. If you want some versatility at the expense of some clarity, and a nice tube tone that goes from modern to vintage, the Eden WT300 or WT400 ($400-600) is a nice head, and portable.

Hope this helps.

7. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I recommend a used GK 400RB, <$200 on ebay. And a new Avatar B210. Expandable, reliable, sound great, etc.

If you have extra cash, you can find used GK 800RBs on ebay for <$350.

Good luck!

8. kap'n kro

kap'n kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Thanks everybody for the help, and to the last post for reaffirming my decision. Last Wed I ended up picking up a GK 700RB off of ebay, and then ordered an Avatar B210 to go with it. They should both be here within the next couple weeks, I can't wait to try them out. Thanks again to everybody for helping me make my decision.

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    awsome! that should be a kick ass rig dude!

10. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Congratulations -

Did you go for the 4 ohm or the 8 ohm Avatar B210?

Either way, since the Avatar has 1/4" inputs, you will want to find a quality 1/4" speaker cable - at least 14 ga, preferably 12 ga, and keep it short. The 700RB does 380w into 4 ohms or 230 into 8 ohms. I think your ears will hear the difference.

BTW, I looked at the ebay ad - the GK factory warranty won't apply anymore since your amp is considered used. Hopefully the "store warranty" is transferable.

I also picked up a 700RB recently - from MF when they were closing them out a couple months back. I just ordered two new Aguilar GS112's on Friday and can't wait to put it all together.

11. kap'n kro

kap'n kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I ended up getting the 8ohm version. In the near future, say by the end of the year, I'd like to get one of Avatar's 1x15 cabs to go along with it. So unless I am mistaken about the physics, to run two cabs with the 700RB I'd need two 8ohm-ers, right?

12. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond &amp; SuperSensitive strings
    Yes...two 8 ohm cabs to get full power from the GK head.

BTW, I've had really good luck with a 700RB and an Avatar CB112. I've been using the GK head over my SWR SM-400S head...mainly the smaller size and convenient features.

But they're both good amps...and my Avatar is 4 ohm...I plan to use it only by itself on relatively small stages.