1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decent 5'er under $400?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berzerker92, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Hi TB I'm looking for a decent 5 string bass for under $400 that's versatile enough to play heavier rock (Creed, Cold, Daughtry, Skillet,3 Days Grace, Seether), and be used in Church.

I'm going to GC tomorrow to try some stuff out, so I'm looking for some advice.

any suggestions would be much appreciated. If it helps I currently have
    Ibanez ATK300 (main bass)
    Ibanez SR300 (backup)
    GK RB400 head
    Fender 4x10 cab

I think they make a 5 string version of the SR so i'll be looking to try that out first. but other than that i'm an open book.

Also I know I should be looking used (and I am) but for whatever reason as big as Milwaukee is there really aren't many basses for sale on C's list that aren't junk..

Thanks.

2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I bought myself an ibanez Sr305 as a backup. Once I put on some DR hibeams and did a setup its a really good bass.
    Decent options for tone... smooth neck... good weight... cheap price. No complaints at that price.
    I have noticed that they tend to vary from bass to bass tho. So if you go to GC play all of the ones available. some might suck some might be awesome

3. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Yamaha BB415 or BB615

4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Used Cort Artisan A5 or B5 - serious bang for the buck.

5. I'd like to try my bass out before i buy it, so something GC is likely to have would be best.

SX's look decent and I've heard good things, but I don't make much money (18 yr old, high school student, fast food employee) so $400 is several months of money saved up, I don't wanna end up with a bass I don't like.

Yamaha's have piqued my interest, I hope they have one there I can try. Is there anything they play/sound like?

6. I've got an Alvarez 5 w/EMG's in a P/J set up that just thunders with DR's. It's a lightweight bass, but with the EMG's and quality strings it's quite impressive. At least I was impressed with it enough to buy it for just under $300. You can find these under $300 w/o active or with their own active electronics. My guess is the previous owner of mine put in the EMG's. I've been pretty happy with it.

However, I hardly play it, and I'm wanting a Gretsch Electromatic. So it's for sale, or trade for a Gretsch.

7. Hmmm I've never heard of Alvarez, I'll take a look around at them, I love the sound of nice EMG p-ups too. :D

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I posted almost the same question last week, except I added that the bass had to have standard string spacing (19mm) and was pointed to the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz.
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...e-Jazz-Bass-Active-V-5String-Bass-?sku=512618

So I took their advice and ordered one. MF had one for $250 so I jumped on it, it will arrive Tuesday. If you want one with standard spacing, try to find one to try at GC. Tons of folks in my thread recommended it as a 'jewel' in the Squier line.

If you can't handle the 19mm spacing, probably best that you stick with Ibanez. MF had ATK 5's for $299 last week, so keep an eye on it:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...TK305-5String-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=511835

9. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Amazon has Dean Q5's for $229 (List $840).

Brice HXB-405 at Rondo for $289.

The Kona Select Walnut/Maple reviewed here a few days ago looks like a serious contender for around $300.

The only one you might be able to actually play is the Dean. But take any one of the 3 listed above, and later invest in some quality pickups like some SGD's and quality pre-amp like an Aguilar or Audere and you will have an extremely good bass for not a whole lot of money. Personally I was considering a Brice in the future, but after reading the review of the Kona and seeing some good pics I'm kind of gassing for one of those.

10. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Just saw that Same Day Music has Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic 5 string actives for $399.. You could probably play one and get GC to price match as well. I think they usually will try to beat a competitors price by 10 or 15%. Yet another option to consider.

11. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  12. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Squier

13. Probably one of the best you can get in that price range, its actually my main bass. i paid £170 for it, retail was £300 ($500?) but i hear they go for alot less than that over there, so that would be a very advisable choice.

Liam

14. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I'd go with the SR305.

15. OP: pm sent...

16. Hey thanks for all the advice, I went and tried all the 5's GC had (and some of the 6's lol) SR305 felt like home, but i still dont really like the pickups, the squier jazz bass was not my cup of tea at all. Huge neck and not fret markers are two pet peeves of mine, in addition the sound and i just didnt mix. the deans were meh, the sterling ray was out of my price range but alot of fun,

However one in particular stuck out.

So i now have a cherry black Scheter Raiden Special 5.(pics after i get off work!!) it was brand new for $400 and i had a coupon so it was $370, i'd never heard of it before today, but man was i blown away when i played it. humbucker and a single coil, 24 frets, big fat sound i love, this may become my main bass...

I couldnt leave without it... the only way it could have been better is if i could have taken the SVT hooked up to the 6x10 i played it on too!

So i have my 2nd new bass in as many months!!! :D

17. Atticus

Atticus

May 26, 2010
    Memphis, TN
  18. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Id take the Ibanez SR 305 over the squire anyday. Much better bass imo.