Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decent 6 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David-Adler, Apr 21, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hi,

I thought about a decent 6 and I´m wondering would could be good for that ? Maybe an Ibanez (SR or BTB) ?
    Or what else ? (Price Limit: About $700)

David

2. There is no BTB 6, and the SR is a waste of time, IMO. The minimum for a 6 would be a Spector, Cirrus, Warwick, Yamaha TRB6P (not the TRB6II), and the like. Dont know if you'll find a decent one for $700. Dont go for anything asian unless you want to spend a fair bit of money upgrading.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    SpectorQ 6 is pretty cheap, it might not be any better than the Ibanez though. I played an Ibanez SR6 one time, and it wasnt that bad though. Not as good as my cirrus6 though. :) Also I've heard good things about the Dean Edge6. If you can afford it get a cirrus!!!!!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wrong on there being no BTB 6;). There is the BTB406QM in transparent black. It may be asian but it doesn't need much upgrading. Has much better electronics than the Soundgear models and a killer, tight B string.

3 band EQ, 2 soapbar pickups, and 3/4" string spacing at the bridge. The only thing that I see as a possible drawback for this model is the fact that when you combine the wide spacing with a 35" scale and a Fender P type profile, the neck feels huge to small hands like mine.

I am thinking of buying one anyway. It's just a question of whether I want to spend $650 on this model or $1200 on a Peavey Cirrus 6. Easily the 2 best 6 string values on the market now, IMHO, with the possible exception of the Carvin LB76.

Here's a couple of pics.:) The one on the bottom is the 5 string version, I cannot find a closeup of the 6 on the web anywhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    BTB6, like Embellisher said. Great bass.

Of course, if you can get a little more money, i'd go and try to find a used Cirrus, maybe on Ebay.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've got my vote on a Ibanez BTB406QM (full name of Ibanez BTB 6er), it's a very solid bass with one of the best B strings I've played/heard.

Or, Dean is a possibility, a lot of people really seem to like these basses (around $600 I think), and they are very decent basses for the price.

And My Final thought would be a Cort Curbow 6, got some people here that really dig them (as Luis Fabara about one of those) and they too are around 600. Bartolini humbucker, faster than thou neck, mighty might pre-amp, not bad, but the colors might not be you bag...

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Maybe that new Ibanez EDB come in a six? Not sure. I heard they are supposed to be pretty good though.

8. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I'm looking for a second 6-string in the price range you're talking about, and I've found two really good candidates. The Spector NS2000 Q6 and the Tobias Toby Pro 6. They're both right around the same price, and both pretty cool. I have only played the 5 string versions of each of these basses though, but I liked them. Although I would probably switch the pups out on the Toby if I got it. :D

9. That Ibanez is serprisingly un-Ibanezish, looks killer, but my 6 is gonna be a Pushic, Ive been drawing possible body shapes like everyday, and I wont be able to afford it for at least a year :(

10. Whoa, Embellisher, the BTB406 has 3/4" string spacing?

DUDE! I'm so all over that!

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah. 3/4" spacing at the bridge.

Like I said, when you combine the neck width, the neck profile and the 35" scale length, the neck feels HUGE!

But it's the best 6 under $1000 that I have ever played. Of course, I've never played a BB76 or LB76.

12. I stand corrected. The gear store I work for are Ibanez dealers, but the Ibanez importers in my country make no mention of a BTB6 in their catalogue.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Cort Artisan 6 is worth looking at in the cheap 6 category. Decent Korean bass.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I cant believe Im going to say this, but Id recommed the Ibanez SR 406. Its not the best out there but for the price you get a fairly decent bass. Also if you decide down the road that a 6 isnt for you, your not out an arm and a leg, They would be a good 1st six string bass, IMHO. I used to have one, I only bought it to sell, but it had a nice slim neck for a 6 and played very easily. The string spacing is a bit narrow, but that can be overcome. Pretty much the only thing I really dont like about Ibanez is the tone. But dont let that sway you, because you may love it. The BTB may be worth looking into as well and the Carvin LB76 looks very sweet. Unfortunatly I have never played either, the only 6 ive really sat with was the sr406 and Id recommend it as a 1st time 6.