Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

decent acoustic BG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Apr 18, 2003.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    who makes a fairly decent acoustic bg ?

I am thinking of selling or trading my recently aquired Kingston 5 for one.

The last acoustic bg i had was an Ovation fretless. It wsa nice but I think I'd like to go all wood this time around.

thanks,
    D.:bassist:

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The one I finally settled on is the tacoma thunderchief. The other really nice ones are the Martin and the Larrivee. Some one may stick up for the taylor, but the ones I played were definitely not like my Tacoma.

That said, for a simple four string, fenders had some nice acoustic property to it. I thought about getting on of those for something simple, but I ended up with the thunderchief, and don't ever plan on selling it.

3. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
  4. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    not trying to bash, but if you are concerned about the actual acoustic output of the bass, I have had not great experiences witht he el capitan. It really didn't hold well against any acoustic instuments at all.

But, are you planning on plugging this in, or do you need a decent acoustic sound out of it?

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    No, not planning on plugging it in...

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Then you definitely need to be weary of the acoustic properties of these things. Mind you none of them are going to cut through with a guitar, mandolin, and banjo (I occasionally do the bluegrass thing), the ones I listed where the ones i liked because of their acoustic properties. Well the fender is ok, but definitely check out as many as you can. I;ve been through at least 7 of them before settling.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I like my Takamine alot

[​IMG]

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'll be doing a bluegrass thing with my wife on dobro...she will not be plugged in either. think it will cut through ?

I seem to remember hating the sound of my Ovation plugged in.

I think i miked it if it needed amplification.

9. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    if it's just the two of you, I think my thunder chief would cut through well. three of you, and you will be more of the supporting thing, but probably still there.

10. Based on that last statement, I'd definitely spend the mony on something good. IMO the Ovation, Martin, Alvarez, Fender, Ibanezs etc dont have the acoustic output to keep up. The traditional dreadnaught body just isnt cut out for bass duties.

i couldnt find any info on a Larivee ABG.

The Tacoma or Taylor are the only ones to consider, if it were me.

11. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The martin B1's I thought had decent projection.

Michael Manring has a Larrivee that I think he likes. I don't know if they make them anymore, but the sound coming from it was nice.

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Tacoma is the only one worth buying, IMO.

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I gave my Dean Performer 5 to my mom; she's jamming with my dad who's playing a Larrivee jumbo. They say the Dean isn't really loud enough in the acoustic setting. I think most of the mid-level brands are going to have this shortcoming.

I've tried as many as I could find, including the Taylors and Tacomas. Didn't feel like the Taylor was worth the $, to me. The Tacoma's are probably the best bet money-wise, but it's just an inherent drawback w/ acoustics...volume just isn't their forte.

The only way I'd consider using one would be plugged in. There are some great one's available if you go that route, but they're not really ABG's I guess- the Turners, Allens, etc. Especially fretless, mmmmm! And you could probably get a pukewood top too! But, I digress...

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    none of this would be an issue but she insists that i not take my doule bass with me when we travel and take instruments.

maybe if i tell her i have to spend 2k to get good tone she will just let me schlep the DB around with us !

15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Ding Ding, that's what I'd do

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have 4 acoustic bass guitars,

Washburn AB20
    Dean Performer Plus 5 string
    Carlo robeli CB100E (martin B1 knock off)
    Carlo robeli CB100E Fretless. (i had frets taken out)

The Dean has a 32" scale, and ok volume.the other's are all long scale 34".
    the carlo robeli's have alot of volume, i use these for the same thing you are going to do, a bluegrass
    project, I have no problem being heard over 2
    acoustic guitars. This is a sam ash house brand,
    i got them on sale for $179.00. I have had them
    since 1998 and have had no problems. I use the
    ghs or d'adario phospher bronze strings on all
    my abg's.
    the washburn is awesome, i use it for acoustic
    versions of rock or metal songs, i can strum power chords on it. It has alot of volume, but the carlo
    robeli's have more bass. No matter what you decide on, definetly use the phospher bronze strings. If i can be any further help let me know.
    :cool:

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a Tacoma Thunderchief. Unplugged, I have no problem keeping up with a guitar so long as I use a felt pick, and the tone is to die for.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you're playing acoustic there's only one choice.

[​IMG]

TACOMA THUNDERCHIEF

This is the only acoustic bass that actually works that I've ever played. It sounds absolutely wonderful acoustically, and the higher end model that i have ("E" model) has a Fishman Prefix Plus preamp which sounds beautiful plugged in.

If your wife is playing a dobro I suspect that you'll have no problem keeping up acoustically. Additionally, it is a beautiful instrument and very well crafted. A pleasure to own and play. The only problem is that the darn thing is massive!! It can be uncomfortable.

It comes with Elixer strings which sound very nice, but I replaced those with LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass nylon tapewounds and they sound even better and are louder to boot.

19. I played a Cort ABG and it was pretty loud. I didn't really like the sound, though. It was way too bright for my tastes.

20. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY

Yea there was a thread a while ago on the Epiphone EL Capitan. It got pretty good comments. I'd try one of those.