Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decent Amp For Party/Club Gigs & Rehearsal ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Jul 1, 2001.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    currently i'm using a sh*tty 15-watt Peavey guitar amp for practice at home, and at rehearsal i plug straight into the P.A (which is a terribly bad thing i know, but hey, it's not *my* P.A :p). i now require an amp that i can use for gigs at parties and medium-sized clubs ... can anyone recommend some models, brands, wattage (i'm currently interested in 200 watts minimum, but this may be too much) and prices ? i was pointed towards Trace Elliot as being an awesome brand, but quite pricey. keep in mind that i am in Australia, so the pricing will be different over here - currently i have $280 dollars saved.

2. is that $ 280 US or $ 280 AUS ?

for round and about $ 500 there are some good amps i heard off..

- Galien Krueger 400RB / 112 1X12 ( $ 550 ) - 150 watt ( 240 watt with expansion-kit )
    - Crate BX160 ( $ 450 ) - 160 watt

i think for < 200 watts it's at least $ 750

3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    that's $280 AUS ... were those american or aussie prices you quoted me, man ?

4. US dollar..

but.. 500 US dollar is about 950 AUS dollar

( better scrounge up some more $$$ , dude :D )

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    damn man .. hehe guess yer right. thanks for your help, bud.

6. If you can swing it get something with at least 350 watts minimum. That will get you through almost any club gig and for practice and rehearsal, believe it or not, you can actually turn the amp down. I'm not going to recommend any brand names because I don't want to ever open up that can of worms again. Listen to as many amps as you can get your hands on and buy the one YOU like, no matter what brand it is. Good luck ToNeS

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i just got a kickass fender 115 combo for 300 USD used. It is called a fender M80, it is a 160 watt combo, with an extension cab, but i swear it is a lot louder that the 400rb at 8 ohlm (i was running the m80 through 8 ohlm, too.) It gets an incredible good sound, too. Very warm, and it comes with chorus and compressor. it has 3 band eq, effects loop, and two inputs. It is very, very clear. I think it sounds a whole lot better than peaveys, and even the new bassmans.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    doesn't playing bass through a guitar amp blow the amp/speakers?!

9. Might not blow the amp but sooner or later it will blow the speaker.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Merlin should be the guy to ask... as he is around your neck of the woods.

If there are some newspapers or such where you can buy used gear , he should be able to give you a heads up.

My advice, at your budget, look for Peavey gear. Good luck.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    shHHhHhhhh ... it's one of our guitarist's amps :D

Gabu, i've only heard bad things about Peavey, and having played through quite a few (everyone seems to have one) i'm a little critical of them - but i've never played through a Peavey BASS amp, however, so they may be a different kettle of sea-based animal. can you recommend anything by Peavey that has a fairly high wattage but isn't that massively expensive ? i know that's a fairly unreasonable expectation, but hey, i gotta work with what i got, here ! :D

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/basic112.html

http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/tko115.html

http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/tnt115.html

http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/combo115.html

Each of these looks pretty cool. I was seriously thinking about getting the Basic 12, which several people here have given high marks to. Peaveys are wel constructed, decent sounding amps and I believe a good value for the money. If you have $700 US, your choices will be different. Since you don't... these are the things to look for. Don't kid yourself though, Peavey is not bad... it's just inexpensive. There is a definate difference.

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    how much is the third model there you listed ? that looks fairly appealing :) the basic 12 looks nice but the wattage is a little low for my liking - our drummer is loud and our guitarist cranks his amp beyond all reasonable volume levels. and telling them to turn down would only constitute a punch in the face on my behalf :rolleyes:
    thanks heaps for taking the time out to actually go and find those web addresses for me, Gabu. that's mighty cool of ya.

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm in love with the ampeg b100r

15. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    You need bang for the buck!
    #1 USED put the word out your in the market and you have cash. youll find someone to sell at ~60% of retail instead of the ~30% a pawn shop would give them.

#2 Peavy Combo 115 or Combo 210. same 210watt amp "head" with different enclosures. In a band situation I'd go with the 210 for increased "Cut & Clarity" also I think the 2 10's + the tweeter use the available power to produce more useable stage volume and less rumble. I've seen the Combo 115's for 250-300 and the 210's for another 50.

#3 Don't get hung-up on a ~100 watt combo just because it's new, and don't waste you time lusting after 1,500 stacks. If you need anything bigger than the above mentioned you'll prob. be plugging into a PA anyway.

RGDS

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA

Damm right!! I agree 100%.