1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decent and affordable amp for Acme Low B-1 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by richyirich, Mar 9, 2008.

1. richyirich

richyirich

Mar 14, 2006
    After months of researching and searching for a perfect bass cab, I purchased two Acme Low B-1 cabs through craigslist at a really great price. When I was a part of my church worship team in NYC, I was using my friend's B-1 and distinctly remember loving the sound, so that brought back some great memories. :)

Now that I have cabs, it's time to start researching for a perfect amp. As much as I'd love to have high-end amps such as Aguilar or Epifani, it'll take me years to save enough money to purchase one...even if it's a used one. :(

Before I start researching for one, I was wondering if you folks have any recommendations on an affordable and decent-quality bass amp that'll match well with just one B-1 or two stacked B-1s.

Let's hear it! :D

[EDIT] - Both cabs are 4 ohm models.

2. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    A PA poweramp putting out at least 200w per side into whatever impedence those cabs are, plus a preamp of your choice.

3. ninnlangel

ninnlangel Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    What's your budget ? Do you need much EQ etc ?

4. I've been using Acme cabs for a while and I find that they sound good with a very tight, crisp amp to help control the deep lows they have so they don't sound boomy.

I really enjoyed my Markbass SD800 with the Acme cabs - it sounded full and even, but very clear and precise.

Perhaps for your purposes, a Markbass F1 could be a good option. It is plenty loud (especially for its size!) and sounds very similar to the SD800. It would probably be a great matchup to the B1s and isn't TOO expensive (depending on your price range).

Are your B1s 4 or 8 ohms? That could affect your decision as well as there aren't a ton of cheaper amps that go down to 2 ohms.

If you can find a good used Acoustic Image, that would be another great option, although the older ones might not have enough wattage to drive the B1s sufficiently. The AI amps can handle 2 ohms as well.

5. ninnlangel

ninnlangel Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    I'm using a Focus with mine, and they sound fantastic together. Maybe you can find a second hand focus series II for a decent price. If not, I would imagine the Markbass can do a great job. I would not recommend an older acoustic image head (other than a focus) for lack of power. I had to switch to the focus for that purpose (2x B1 at 8ohm).

6. Both models being 4ohms really limits your options, unfortunately. However, the good news is that one of the best matchups I've heard with those cabs for a warm, fat, mellow, organic tone is the AI amps. A Clarus (series II or later) would be perfect with those cabs, and won't break the bank... and the newer AI's will run at 2ohms all night long without breaking a sweat.

If you are looking for a little more aggressive tone, if you can find a used Genz Benz Neo Pak with the 2ohm upgrade already done, that would be a very nice and very low cost option also.

Just make sure any head you are looking for is 2ohm safe.... that eliminates the entire Markbass line, and the new Genz Shuttle heads.

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Carvin if you want to save some money! The b1500 if you really want some juice. If you want to save a bit of weight, try to find a used b600.

8. That B1500 would be a lot of head running at 2ohms into those little 4ohm B110's!!!!

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    True that! Probably a bad recommendation, but since the b600 is discontinued I figured I'd mention it. Still can't figure out why Carvin killed the b600.

10. I agree with Ken on this one, I think the B1500 would be too much. Still with Carvin the DCM600 at $330 would be ideal with one B1 per side. If you don't need EQ, driven with an ART Tube MP at about $40 will give you all you need and if you use an active bass, you can EQ from the guitar itself.

I mostly use the DCM1000 with my B2s connected the same way. They sound great.

BTW welcome to the ACME owners club!

Enjoy...
    Paul

11. richyirich

richyirich

Mar 14, 2006
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I totally forgot about the "2-ohm" issue. That will seriously limit my search.

I've used an Acoustic Image on a B-1 cab before, and it was fantastic. Plus, they support 2 ohms, so I'll look into AI amps. Any suggestions on which model I should get? My budget is limited, so I don't want to spend too much...

I've also checked Genz Benz Neo Pack 3.5 on their website. I watched their demo clips and loved the sound, but how much would it cost to request the 2-ohm upgrade?

Besides AI and Genz Benz, are there any other amps that support 2 ohms?

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    What about one of those yamaha digitial 500w heads? Those do 500w into 2 ohms. Sound okay too.

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I really liked how an AI Focus sounded through my Low-B2. Or you could run the B1500 into those cabs in series for an 8 ohm load and 700W RMS which is a perfectly safe amount of power.

Alex

14. The Carvin DCM600 is fully 2Ω capable.

Paul

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How much do the smaller Eden heads go for used? Quite a few of them are 2 ohm happy too. The DCM600 makes sense too.

Alex

16. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The 2 ohm upgrade will cost you the shipping charges to send it in...around $30.

17. For your little B1's, the Clarus model will have plenty of power at 2 ohms. You need to make sure it's at least a Series II version, since the originals were not 2ohm safe.

18. richyirich

richyirich

Mar 14, 2006
    I'm a bit confused on the difference between a power amp and preamp. What is the difference between the two? I looked at Carvin DCM600, and the website said it's a power amp. If I get the power amp, will I need to get a preamp also?

19. Short and easy answer.

Power amps provide the power to the speakers.

Pre-amps provide the EQ'ing and signal changes.

You 1 of each for either to work.

A Head is both combined into one.

Powered cabs only need pre-amps(such as the Berg IP series).

20. richyirich

richyirich

Mar 14, 2006
    After hours of reading through other postings, I've made a list of amps that'll be able to support 2-ohms. Let me know what you think about any of these amps.

Acoustic Image Clarus SL
    Carvin B500
    Genz Benz GBE400
    Peavey Nitrobass
    SWR 350x

There are a few more amps, but I wanted to stick to 300-500 watt range. Out of the five, Peavey Nitrobass seemed to be the most affordable amp. It had some great reviews on Harmony Central as well as TB.