Decent bass combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindgames, Jan 5, 2006.

1. mindgames

Jan 5, 2006
    Hi everyone

I need to purchase a bass combo ASAP for around the £400-£500 mark. I presently have an SVT mark II for my main amp, which I play through an Ampeg 8x10, and play with a heavy bottom-end sound, but quite driving at the same time. While I know that I'm not going to get anywhere near the quality of the SVT for this sort of cash, I need to try to find something with good low end that's relatively powerful that I can order online at short notice as a back-up, as my amp is in for repair.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? To be honest, I've had the same set-up for about 7 years so know virtually nothing about what's currently available. Would automatically head towards Ampeg, Hartke, Marshall etc and steer away from Trace Elliot (too toppy), Peavey etc, but any advice much appreciated!!!

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    The Ampeg B100R is a good combo for that vintage sound Ampeg is known for. It has a warm low end and puts out an honest 100 watts.
  3. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    no affiliation

i think its about 700usd on music123 .very low freq and very small and light. :bassist:
  4. mindgames

Jan 5, 2006
    Thanks, I like the look of the B100R - but just worry that at 100 watts it might not be loud enough for rehearsal rooms or small gigs. Can anyone help here? I've seen reviews that say its pretty pokey, and I suppose I can always add a separate cab at a later date...

Anyone got any views on the B115?

Thanks in advance!
  5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Look at Ashdown. For $500 (or less) US, you can get a new MAG 300 combo. Excellent value IMO. I bought one of the 2-10" models and was very impressed...

6. jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    +1. I got my son a MAG C210T (2 10s and a horn), and he loves it. Great sound, and, of course, it's an Ashdown.