1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decent books?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Shoehorn, Aug 4, 2007.

1. So, a couple weeks ago my friend asks me if there are any good bass books like these few for drums that he has. I told him that I wasn't really aware of any aside from various etude books and the Simandl book; the last not even being for electric. I've glanced at a few now and then when I'm in music stores but I haven't noticed anything that really caught my eye as worth buying. I'm sure there must be though, so could someone reccomend me a few bass study books?

I don't have anything in particular in mind. Maybe a intermediate general technique book, collection of common grooves, or some transcribed bass solos? I'm more of a jazz oriented player if that changes anything.

I DID search but not toooo much luck but I still give my utmost apologies if I overlooked a post that answered my question.

2. poisonoakie

poisonoakie

Nov 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Jim Stinnett's books of Paul Chambers solos are amazing. His reading books are great too, if your looking to improve on that. In the next couple of months he will be coming out with a book analyzing Pual Chambers' playing, and breaking his solos down into the most common riffs that Chambers' used. I have seen the material that will be included and it is mind blowing.
    You can get the books from Stinnettmusic.com. The transcriptions are available now and the book of analysis ("Secret Chambers") is available for pre-order. Also, he is coming out with a new book of etudes in all 12 keys that you may want to check out. Stinnett puts out some quality material.

3. Mannnnnnnnn,

That's awesome! if theres the transcription of that bowed solo he does in lazy bird on blue train I will crap my pants.

Many thanks man

4. poisonoakie

poisonoakie

Nov 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Jim has an entire book exclusively of Chambers' bowed solos. I believe it is called "Arcology".

5. shoehorn, go to bassbooks.com. they have a searchable database. from the hal leonard series (publisher) i have had excellent experience with the books by ed friedland. i am a jazz junkie, so i have titles like "building walking bass lines", jazz overview, blues bass, etc. the books all come with a CD (i put everything on my ipod and hook it to the stereo) and offer a full range of exercises from easy to hard. ed friedland's explanations are always crystal clear. i have found that bassbooks is fast, very reasonable prices, etc. basskopf