1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

decent cab and head for punk rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Punkrocker91, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Punkrocker91

Punkrocker91

Nov 23, 2010
    okay i'm looking for a decent head and cab that puts out a great sound for punk music. i would like to get the sound that rick lopez has from the casualties. he has an orange amp head and an ampeg 8x10 cab. that is way out of my price range. so i started looking at heads and cabs. and so far i have found the behringer ultrabass BX4500 head and a behringer ultrabass bb410 cab.

this rig is under $600. and it would only be used for gigging.

any suggestions?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Why does the modern punk attitude remind me so much of Miss Manners? <sing-songy voice> Oh, Miss Manners - how should my little finger be when I hold a teacup? Oh, Miss Manners - which side does my salad fork go on? Oh, Miss Manners - should I cover my mouth when yawning or belching?

Ah the troubling questions concerned young citizens are faced with today.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    A used GK head (cause it'll last forever, and you can get awesome tones out of it), and some sort of used cab. I'd recommend either an avatar or some more GK (if you can find it).

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Punk rawk was about gittin' whatever you could get your hands on for what little money you had in your pocket and working hard to make it sound good. Apparently now its about fashion amps.

6. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    Whatever you get, make sure you string your bass with some DR strings, hi beams actually. I find those help a ton when i play with a pick to get that nice glassy punk grit tone

7. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Jun 19, 2009
    +1 on the GK

8. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    +1 on the beat up look. How about an Ampeg B2re or an
    Svt400T( if you can find one) and hook it up with a 410HLf or or something similar that can take a beating. This time of year everybody seems to be trying to get rid of stuff. I personally would steer clear of any Berringer's, maybe a line6 lowdown HD750 (new at $499) .

9. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    A GK 400rb would be great for getting the tones you want, and would definitely be within your budget. When I played punk stuff as a teenager I used one of the BIG old GK heads (400B i think it was?) and got great growly tones when i played a squier p bass special through it. Pair it with a solid cabinet, probably a 410 or 212 by swr, ampeg, gk, etc. Rock a p bass or jazz bass through it and youll be good to go.