Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decent cheap beginners amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Demon, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Could anyone recomend a decent cheap beginners amp? As im getting a SX bass as soon i can find a way to buy em in sweden or order from europe. I find it much better to practice with an amp, so any recomendations for a cheap beginners amp:)? Also i have a question, does it work well for bassists to do some secondary singing in a band?

2. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I would recommend an Ashdown 15-180 as a value for a serious beginner. It has gotten mixed reviews from the normal lot of customers but is, in fact, an amp that should not dissapoint you like a really cheap amp can. I would recommend a Berhinger if their quality control even existed.

3. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Cheap amp: B*hringer :bag:
    (please don't start a huge why-not-to-use-B****** thread here, plenty of that discussion to be found using the Search)
    Or any cheap used amp.

Speaking for myself as for singing: I cannot even talk decently while playing, let alone sing, so I never even tried. But there's plenty of bass players singing, so why not just give it a try.

4. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    You can find some good buys on e-bay, you may find a good amp cheap there.

5. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    beginners? yea like me, its hard to sing at play... but as u get better, u can do it
    the amp i reconmmend?
    Peavey Microbass...

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have an old Peavey combo. It's called a TNT 130. paid $200 used. Also look for TNT 115, TNT 160, and the TKO stuff.

It has a big 15" speaker, more tone controls than you will know what to do with (but you'll grow into them,my son) and enough volume that you should not need to buy another amp until you are workingserious paying gigs.

They are heavy, and will annoy your parents/ roommates/etc with the volume, but they are solid and cheap. Mine lived in an unheated new england garage for a year and is doing fine.

Old peavey bass stuff is everywhere, and often undervalued because their solikd state 80's guitar amplifiers never really had very musical tone.

PM me,joejnyc, if you find a good used peavey and I'll let you know if it's a winner or not. :)

Joe

edit: I did not see that you were from Stockholm. I lived in London for some time, but do not remember what seemed to be available on the used European market. But a solid used 1980's amp that has more power than you presently need is the way to go.

7. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    One of the best places i found in Europe for buying equipement was Frankfurt Germany, near the bohnhof

8. you cant go wrong with a Fender Rumble amp. I have a 15w that is great for practice. It has CD input and also a headphone jack.

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I can tell you that working on your ability to sing while playing will DEFINITELY increase the number of gigs you can fit into. I've gotten a lot of gigs due to being able to add harmonies, especially high harmony. It's tough ... I've never understood why it's so much harder for me to sing while playing bass as opposed to singing while playing guitar (which I also do), but it is. But work on it, man ... it will definitely pay off for you.

As for amps, used Peaveys are great values, as some have mentioned. Depending on how much you have to spend, I'd also look for used Eden Nemesis, and new Nemesis Silver amps. Great stuff.

Best of luck!

10. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Also, if i just wanna listen to my headphones while playing, what would i need to get for that?

11. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Peavey Microbass is a great beginners amp

12. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Definately Peavey Microbass it's not loud but it sounds absolutely awesome, real punchy.

13. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok but what do i need to play on headphones? Do i need a amp for that? im a bit short on money

14. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    If you have a stereo with a mic input I think you can play through that it has worked for me. But I would definately buy an amp with that and a Microbass is real cheap (at least in Belgium).

15. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay, but again, for the headphones? Do i need to get a amp/stereo and run headphones thru that, or can i plug emn into the guitar directly somehow?

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    if you want to go really cheap buy a used set of computer speakers and run the amplifier into any speaker, preferably larger than 6inches... the larger the speaker the better. I paid $5 for my computer speaker "practice amp" and i use it for home practice all the time. works great... does have limited volume though.

or you could get a cheap mixer like the behringer ub502 and either run it thru your home stereo or radio (if it has the input capabilities) or use the headphone option. the ub502 is $45 canadian, i dont think you can get cheaper than that unless you buy used.

17. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    So i could plug it in my computer speaker and play? How exactly:/?

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Put an adapter on the 1/8th tip of your computer speaker output cable (the one that plugs in to the back of your computer) to increase it to 1/4inch... the same size as an instrument cable. Then just stick the computer cable/adapter into your jack on your bass. Like I said it wont be that loud, but you will get sound. It will be louder if you have active pickups. Sounds like you already have computer speakers so it wont cost you a dime.

using a mixer with your home stereo will get much better results assuming your stereo has better quality speakers than computer speakers. plus if your home stereo has a headphone jack you can play bass thru headphones too.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    just thought of something else. you can plug your bass directly into your computer too. get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapater to make your cable tip smaller and plug the cable into your mic input on the back of your computer.

you will probably have to tweak your sound card to boost the mic input. to do this go to control panel > sounds and audio devices > in the volume tab choose advanced > then choose properties on the page with all the volume sliders > look for mic boost and put a check in the box. This is for win xp it may be different for other operating systems. I am not 100% sure about all those steps, but that's close. Might have to google to get exact details.

then you can play along with window media player files etc with or without computer speakers / headphones.

20. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Aye, great idea, last one;) then ican play bass to music:):):) Also, my question is, is it really safe? Can it ruin guitar/computer/speakers or can it give shocks;P? Thot id ask before i do something nutty:)