"decent" cheap-ish wireless for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Dunno if this is the right forum, but here goes...

Any advice/opinions on a cheap-ish wireless unit that handles the low-end well?

I've never used one before, but have heard stories of sound degradation etc...i'm just after something to stop me tripping over my cables!

I'm after cheap 'cause most Shure/Nady/Samson units here go for around $1400...
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shure UT, or GC's Shure Access (it's the same thing). UHF, dual diversity, goes down to 20 hz, pretty bitchen for $300 to $350.
  3. I just tried out the Audio Technica 1127 today. It was real clean sounding and I couldnt tell to much of a sound degradation with it. It sells for around 275 I am planning on getting one for my birthday:D
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Nady Encore II GT.
    Less than $200
    Very good Performance.
  5. Audition it first. :D

The FCC has a 50 Hz lower limit imposed on all wireless devices. I played a Shure Guitarist with my RB5 and the wireless cut the nuts off the low end. Bad.

The 50 Hz lower limit does not affect guitar players, only bassists.
  6. Auditioning isn't really an option since the selection here is pretty low. And I can't see a store here lending me a $1400 wireless for a gig/practise...not that i'd ever consider spending that much.

I've found I can't even get musiciansfriend.com to ship overseas (manufacturer limitations, etc) - which has started me thinking about your FCC ~vs~ our FCC and the frequencies, etc allowed over here.

Looks like some of the new Nady units (332, encore 2) handle down to 40Hz or so, but whether they'd work here, I dunno now.

How would you use a wireless with effects pedals? Would the receiver be safe at floor level?
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    bgavin ~

I don't think so. There are a bunch of wireless units out there that go as low as 10 hz (for lotsa bucks).

For all you cats that are gonna buy this or that, I REPEAT: Check the specs. If it doesn't go down to at least 40 hz for 4-string or 30 hz for 5-string, FORGET IT. Then, after you've checked the specs, test it for sound. This is one place where your ear is going to let you down.
  8. dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    Just purchased a new samson wireless from music123.com. Bought a true diversity system, (2 antenna thingy) that switches between the 2 channels for the cleanest sound. Very nice, clean, clear, and as far as I can tell I can't tell of any signal loss. Total cost, $149.00 to my front door in 3 days.
  9. My source of information was a Shure wireless engineer with whom I had a nice long phone conversation. He stated the FCC imposes the lower limit on all wireless devices, and I took him at his word. I did not research the FCC regs to confirm what he said. YMMV.

None of the Shure line goes below the legal limit he said, and he recommended against wireless for bass. He is a guitar player, and said the Shure Guitarist colored the sound, but was acceptable for guitar and higher voiced instruments.
  10. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Wireless for bass really isn't worth it. The only quality ones are some of the UHF models, and even some of them aren't very good.

Besides, in a few years UHF will be the only choice because when the new HDTV broadcasting standard becomes commonplace, all the VHF frequencies will be occuppied with programming.

Is a cord really THAT constraining?

I would only consider getting wireless is you are playing in a big band with a lot of other musicians (10+) and you don't want to trip over each other.

Stick with a cord.
  11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    A wireless is better than having a long (30 Feet +) Cable,specially on High Impedance basses (most) because the signal loss and tone loss is lower than in the long cable.

I really liked my Nady 201XL and the 332GT, they both go down to 25Hz.
    Those are True Diversity VHF units, that are very resistant to interference.
    I had problems only once when playing on stage with a a RADIO STATION Transmiter 50 Meters from the stage.
  12. I did some digging on the FCC web site and came up with nothing. More digging on several different USA specific wireless rigs all shows the same 50 ~ 15,000 Hz range.

Luis, if yours is indeed spec'ed down to 25 Hz, I would guess it is because you operate outside the USA. Just a guess.
  13. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If your bass isn't active, just get a small preamp or booster pedal.

Again, the majority, if not all, wireless systems working within the US are limited to a frequency response range of 50Hz-15kHz.
  14. Well I just bought the Audio Technica 1100 and it goes down to 50hz however I have found it to work extremely well. I have walked all around with no signal loss, or sound degradation. After reading what you all said, I asked a bunch of friends to see if they could tell the difference. In a blind (hearing??)test none of them were able to tell the difference between a cable and my unit. I have a five string and none of them were able to tell any loss of sound. These were all very competent musicians who would have been able to tell the difference in the sound. I agree that it shouldnt work, but for some reason..... it does.
  15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have been using an AKG UHF wireless with my five string for almost a year. I can't tell that there is any significant loss of bottom end. I can still rattle the stage, only now I can do it from 100 feet away. I think it actually sounds better than some cables.
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used to use a Shure VHF true diversity wireless unit. Worked great with the previous band that I was in. I noticed no signal loss.

I had to get rid of it when I joined the band that I am currently in. Something with the lights and stuff made it go crazy every once and a while. So now I am looking into getting a Sennheiser Digital 1000. Anyone else use one of these??
  17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    All Nady High Band VHF´s go down to 25Hz, mine was bought in the USA.
    Check the PDF´s at www.nadywireless.com

Well, this is taken directly from the PDF:

Frequency Response 25-20,000 Hz,+/-3dB
    Dynamic Range 120dB
    Total Harmonic Distortion <0.3%
    RF Carrier Frequency Range 169-216 MHz
    Frequency Stability +/-0.005%,crystal controlled
    Modulation FM (F3E),+/-20KHz max.
    Operating Range Up to 250 ft.typical (depending on site
    conditions);up to 500+feet optimum
  18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nil -

How does US$100 grab 'ya?

It's a VHF (approx. 190 MHz in the instrument incarnation) diversity system, and the freq response is spec'd out as 30Hz - 18KHz. (The "technical details" popup shows the receiver as 30Hz - 18KHz, and the transmitter as 40Hz - 18KHz, but that appears to be a typo - download the users manual and you'll see both bottom out at 30Hz.)

I've had really good luck with MusicYo stuff, particularly for the price. Shipping it to EnZed, 'tho - I don't know about that, but they do have EU and UK facilities if it helps.

bgavin - the only FCC regs I'm aware of beyond certification would deal with things like spectral purity and maximum deviation. I would be very surprised to see Charlie impose a limit on frequency response. (All based on my amateur radio experience - of course, I could be wrong!)
  19. Evidently the Shure engineer was wrong when he stated the 50 Hz lower limit.
  20. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yup. same with my samson series one UHF. goes down to 50hz i believe. my band can't tell the difference, neither can the audience. i can when i'm playing by myself, but onstage i can't. so...i'm happy with it :)