Decent, cheap live recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Feb 13, 2002.

1. I just bought a Crown PZM mic, and BAM! does this thing sound good for just one-miking for live recording! I got it for $60 off eBay.

I see on this board people asking about this from time to time....I'm glad I went this route, and I just use it with my 8mm camcorder, I can't imagine what it would sound like with a minidisc or other equip.....
  2. sometime there's just no love.....bump
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    OK Emeril Lagasse, what type of mic (directional?) is it? Where did you position it? I'm thinking about a mic to go into a MDisc right now actually.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's a pressure-zone mic.

You place it on a wall or floor surface.
  5. and placed correctly sounds amazing.....

I'm sure there are better mics out there for this, but for $60 I can't imagine what.

I just recorded my stereo using it placed in the middle of the room, then played it back, and could barely tell the difference in the two. Wow.
  6. A Behringer ECM 8000 ($35 online) is also a decent omni that works well if placed correctly. I stuck one in our practice space, through my mixer and into wavelab. A little EQ to bring out the cymbals and bass. We were all pretty surprised.

"Behringer mics!?!?" you say?

For $35 and good placement...

A pair also works well as drum overheads, although I generally prefer cardioids.
  7. Yes, those mic can be quite good if placed properly. I experimented using a radio shack version of that mic....YES a RADIO SHACK:)

However I find it to work best if combined with other in close micing. You should try that out, it'll add so much life to your recording(pro or not).

That mic was originally design to capture stuff like a grand piano.