decent, cheap upgrades?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OblivionBass, Sep 22, 2005.

1. OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    This has probably been asked before, so don't flame me for being a noob (plus its too early in the mornin for me to think straight)

What is the cheapest way to upgrade the sound/tone of my squire affinity pbass? I don't want to spend too muhc money on this because I'm planning on getting a new bass around winter, but I have a gig coming up and I want to at east give my bass a descent sound.

What should i upgrade? Pickups, or something else
    And something cheap, cause I have a tight budget.

:oops: I'm going back to sleep.
  2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Get an FX Pedal/Modeler.

Click here

Or just get a EQ/Preamp pedal like

This (works good)

This (works excellent).

That way if you sell/trade your current bass you get to keep your toy.

Personally I prefer the eq/preamp idea but basically either kind will do you for a short term solution and can be relatively inexpensive.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A couple of thoughts.
    1. A decent replacement P-Bass pickup will make a large difference. I would also replace the Vol & tone pots with full sized. This takes basic soldering skills. Very, very simple job and will make a world of difference. WHen yousell the bass, either up the price by somehting to cover the pickup or take the pickup out and sell it if you don't go with another P Bass. A decent used P Bass pickup would be 50 to 75 bucks. Pretty much anything PASSIVE from Duncan or Dimarzio or Bill Lawrence would be a good choice. I would shy away from active pickups due to the battery required. You can make that work but in a Squire it wouldn't be worth the effort IMO. I would shy away from EMG. Unless you're a jazz guy I would stay away from Bartolini as well. Nice pickups but sort of refined sounding and my guess is that you're looking for a more aggro setup...

If you don't have basic soldering skill's, get them. It's easy if you take your time. Radio Shack has everything you need for cheap. Believe me you'll save enough money over time to justify the learning.

2.New strings. Get some that are really good. If you like rounds, I would recommend the TI Super Alloy's if flats, TI Jazz Flats (I get mine from Dude is pretty competitive but more importantly he run;s a great forum...)

3. Last thing I would do is the bridge. If you're a rocker, then the gold standard of bridges if the BaddAss II. It will drop into the Standard Fender bridge mounting holes. (This may or may not be true for the Squire Affinity, I've never seen one. I would expect it to be true for your bass though.) the downside ofthe BA is that you have to form the clots inthe bridge pieces. As this is a critical topic for tone and intonation I have a pro-luthier do it for me and again, probably not worth the investment for a Squire...

To net all that out. Do the pickup and strings and pots. Figure $125. You'll pull the pickups and pot's if you sell the bass so that portion of the $$$ are not wasted.

Of course you may find that with the pickups and strings, the bass sounds good enought that you'll want to do the bridge and keep it around at least as a backup.
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Here's a good new one for $US26
    Not me, or a friend, but have dealt with him and he's reliable.
  5. OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    Sorry for being so dumb, but you kinda got to explain it to me cause I'm so new with this stuff. :crying: and what do you mean by "full size" (like, compared to what ____ size i have? cause i dont know)