Decent combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Apr 3, 2002.

1. What is a decent cambo amp for somewhere between $500- $700? I don't quite need a big ole stack. I want a big 4x10 with a 1x15, and a 450 watt head, but that ain't gonna happen.

So, a 2x10 combo would be a nice settlement. Basically anything would be an upgrade from my Fender Frontman B15.

I've played through a Gallien- Krueger 400RB/210 240watt combo, sells for about $750.
    It is a little more than what I want to spend, but something along that line would be great.

What is recommended?
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    fender bassman. they are awesome sounding amp!
  3. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    if ya like mud :D

i'd go the GK - i was going to get the exact same combo, but i needed double the wattage. now i have no money and no place to stay (legally). don't make the same mistake i have and throw your life away for two crappy 4x10's and a rawkously loud bass head ;)
    the 400RB/210 would be perfect for most situations (unless you're in an extreme death metal band), has a cool speaker config, a wide variety of tonal tweakage (for its price), and kickback! can't go wrong.
  4. Yeah, my POS Fender amp is pushing its life expectancy.

However, I just found this

on Yahoo with a buy price of $620.

Carvin RL6815 Cyclops bass amp.

"Carvin combined the Series III R600 bass head, a heavy duty 15 inch woofer, and two 8 inch mid-range drivers, as well as the "RedEye" compression horn driver into a custom tuned, bi-amped enclosure to create the finest "combo" bass amp ever made! The R600 amp head uses the same high-powered technology found in Carvin's highly acclaimed DCM Series power amplifiers. The 600 watt RMS power rating is very conservative. The cabinet is computer-tuned to its drivers for a perfectly matched system. The "Cyclops" will pound out club-filling bass all night, every night, and still fit in the trunk or back seat with ease. The optional heavy duty CTS4 removable casters make it a breeze to move around."

I'll have to check my Carvin catalog when I get home and see what their price is. It's well within my price range, looks nice, from a name I know.
  5. Just for the heck of it, try an Ampeg B50R (or if you need more power, B100R). I got the 50 and have been extremely pleased (even records pretty damn good). Of course, if you're needing tubes neither of these will work. I've never dreaded toting the 50 anywhere.
  6. Ghaos, I gotta agree with Jazzbasser. I had a Fender 60, but, it died on me. A few guys recommended the Ampeg B100R, I bought one and it sounds so good. Very warm and 60s ish, although you can get modern sounds out of it. I recommend this one very highly. And for 100 watts with 1x15, it is loud. If this amp isn't loud enough for you, consider a head/cab set up. They're about $479.00 at most places you look. Two slight drawbacks:
    1) No effects loop
    2) No external speaker jack

These didn't bother me, but, YMMV.
    Hartke is also good and so is Ashdown. The Ampeg though sounds amazing.

Good luck.
    Mike J.
  7. From my experience, avoid Carvin amps.

I'm dissatisfied by mine. It gets outperformed (sound and volume wise) by much lesser amps, and Carvin has the attitude that if you want to compete, get their more expensive stuff. That's no excuse for ****ty performance compared to similar amps.

When you hear them, it's kind of like "that sounds good".

You lose that reaction when you hear something else.:(
  8. How about an Ampeg B3158? 150 watts, 15", 8", lots of knobs and sliders. I've got 2 of em which just HAPPEN to be for sale. ;) One is $350 and the other is $450. Which would add up to $800. Just out of your budget but I'm sure we could work something out. :D ;)
  9. Ba da BUMP!!

At first, I was thinking I was only gonna spend $500- $700, but since I will not be purchasing any more basses for awhile, I can spend more on my amp. So, decent amplification system for $700- $1200?

If I can get a decent half stack in this range, that would be super.
  10. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    From my experience, go with Carvin! :D

My RC210 has served me very well for 3 1/2 years, with plenty of power and oomph... The only glitch has been the speakers. The stock one's weren't too bad, it's just that I kept blowing 'em!! I gig heavily with this amp and was averaging a pair of speakers a year... In February, I replaced them with Eminence Kappa's and the difference in the cabinets' sound amazes me... No worries about blowing these!

The head has sounded great no matter what cabinet I play it with, (It kills with a pair of Eden 210's!!), and it's been a total workhorse... JMO

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Skip the combo amp idea, for $5-700 you can get ahead and cabinet. Then you can upgrade to your dream stack over time.

A used GK 400RB and Peavey 410TX cabinet could be found for $500. You could get a NEW 400RB plus a NEW Avatar 4-10 for under $700. Etc.
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    What Brian said!
  13. finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    Stop bashing Fender. The new Fender bassman series has a great sound. Try one before you go badmouthing. A 200 watt Fender Bassman will fit nicely into your budget.
  14. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    New Fender bassman amps are okay, but stay away from Fender BXRs or bassmen made before 2000. The old Fender bassman was always more of a guitar amp than a bass amp, before they ditched the horrible BXR line and introduced a totally new bassman a couple of years ago.
    My favorite affordable combos have always been SWR Workingman's and Hartke kickback series amps. Ampegs are nice, but pretty heavy for combos. I haven't tried Eden Nemesis or Gallien Krueger Backline amps, but considering how good their more expensive stuff is, you should look into them.
  15. Brian,
    thanks for the suggestion. I'll be hitting up the music shops over the next few weeks, and trying out several amps. I'll keep an eye open for the setup you mentioned.

My current pos amp is a Fender amp. Other than its weak output, limited options, and horendous sound, it's an awful amp. :D
    I've tried other fender amps, but I really don't like them. they make better guitar amps than they do bass amps.
  16. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Just for a change of scene - try out an Ampeg B2 combo if you have a local dealer. I got one last year and it's the best combo I've ever played through. Mine is the 1x15 version, and I sometimes plug into a 2x10 extension cab to access all 350 watts. It's a smooth, loud beast with great tone.
  17. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Well, i currenty own 2 fender amps. a BXR 15 from 97-98 & a BassMan 200 from 2001. BXR = everything you expect from that line put into a lil 1X8 cab-perfect for bedroom practice if you're willin to tweak your onboards differently. BassMan 200-my fav amp. I did use a Carvin PB200 & side by side comparison = BassMan sounds better to me. Try the fender if you want to-dunno if you've been scarred toooo deeply by the BXRs ;) Ampeg BA115 sounded good to me too. Hope ya find what you're lookin for.

edit: The TubeWorks 1X15 w/160 watts or so also sounded great to me-just not $650 great + tax [got the bassman for $610 w/tax]
  18. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    for that amount of money heres what i would get a carvin R1000, and whichever configuration of eden cabs you would prefer. If you look used, i think that would easily be attainable for $1200. The R1000 has power to spare (1000 watts) is biampable, stereo, or mono. has a great preamp IMO (i use an R600) and the eden cabs.... well i dont even need to explain that to you.
  19. theotherpete

Apr 19, 2002
    GR, MI
    for about $1150 you can get an ampeg SVT-410hlf (4ohms) and a hartke 3500 (350w). or, for an extra $50 you can get the hartke 4000 (400w).
  20. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I disagree. I have a BXR-60 and it is a great little amp. Don't get me wrong, there are most definitely better out there, but there is not a thing wrong with the BXR-60 for the price.