Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decent digital piano for under $500 used?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Oct 2, 2002.

1. I've taken up piano recently and I'd like to not have to trudge up and down various and sundry hills in order to go to the music building if I want to practice in the evening. (As you may have noticed, I'm up after 3 most nights.)

So, I was thinking of getting myself an inexpensive digital piano. My mom, a piano teacher (I quit her instruction at the age of 10), indicated that she'd be willing to contribute significantly to such a purchase.

Any suggestions for a tentative budget of $500? I've heard good things about the Yamaha SP88(?), but I'm always open to more ideas.

FWIW, I'll probably buy used.

2. I have a Yamaha P-120 and I'm very pleased with it. The touch is great - it has an 88-key weighted keyboard which makes it feels just like a real piano, and the sound, while not as good as the Kurtzweil PC-88, is still pretty good (I didn't like the "feel" of the PC-88). With the budget you mention, you might want to try eBay.

Good Luck!

- Wil

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I have no Idea what they go for but my lady owns and plays a roland fp-3. The things great!

AJ

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'll second that, the P-120 is good, the action and feel is good, but I prefer the Yamaha P-80. The P-80 is great if what you want is authentic piano sound and great feel - it doesn't have all the sounds that the P-120 has (or build in speakers like the P-120) - but it has several piano sounds, as well as some electric pianos, harpsichord, organs, strings and double bass - but I actually prefer the sound of the P-80, to me it sounds much more like a real grand piano than the P-120. It has a fairly decent Rhodes-style electric piano sound, and the strings sound is very good. The P-80 is also cheaper - over here I think it goes for about £600-£700 new, but I don't know what you'd pay for a second hand one over in the usa. Piano is my first instrument, and I've had my P-80 2 years and I love it!

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    I'm all for yamaha digital pianos... My mom bought a Clavinova in 1989 and it's still working GREAT... and it's moved from... Korea, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana... oh, around 10 times...

They're pretty sturdy great feel w/ the weighted keys... has midi plug-ins...(expandability options computer wise)... Back then she paid around 1500 for it... If you found one for 500... I would pay for it and RUN!

I've been looking in Musician Friend... and have noticed a few that are worthy of purchase... for a new one... you might consider it... you might be able to get something comparable to a really nice second hand piano... except new... I'd give it a thought anyway...

Happy Hunting!