decent distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by darkenraja, Mar 2, 2005.

1. i havent really had the chance to look around yet, but im looking for a nice, chunky distortion, something heavyish.

if you know the song deadstar by muse thats what im talkin about, anyone got any ideas?
  2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    well, muse uses the Big Muff by Electro-Harmonix.

So, you might say you're looking more in the realm of fuzz?
  3. There is only one real choice Tech 21 SABDDI they are excellent and dont screw your original sound but kick it in when wanted and they are great for nasty overdrive to mild tube like growl.
  4. +1. :) :)
  5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    There are lots of good choices out there. Personally, I didn't like the distotion of the SABBDI- it was too weak. It wasn't so much of a distortion as an overdrive, like when pegging a tube amp.

Distortion pedals are like ribeye steaks- some people like their steaks rare, some medium and some well done. You need to taste it though to know what you like.

I suggest making a trip to Sam Ash and GC and just tasting a few. Come back here and post what you liked and what you didn't and gather more feedback about those pedals.

Personally, I have two that I am using right now- an MXR M-80 DI+ and a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz. I use the MXR to give me more modern distortions and the Fuzz for ..well- fuzz. I like it for RATM tunes too.

6. Yes you are sort of right the Sabddi can scoop the mids but with clever Bass and Treble adjustment you can bring the mids back up, especially if you run the blend at 50% this works very well.
  7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sheesh - Those are pretty much... opposite, aren't they?

I much like my OBD-3, and almost always use it as a lighter, growly overdrive - but it has a pretty killer all-out distortion sound too. when I use the heavy distortion I kind of have to use both pickups because that's my only humbucking configuration; it's pretty much gain. In fact for the light overdrive sound I usually use, I reduce the input to the pedal (with the CS-3 compressor that I always run before it) - even with the OD's drive turned down all the way.

The ODB has seperate bass and treble controls, but even with the treble down all the way (that's nearly how I usually run it for my light OD, but I also have the tone control on the CS turned nearly all the way UP) it has some amount of scratchyness up in the high frequencies; I wouldn't think that it would sound so good if I were running a bottom that featured a tweeter. If you run the tones flat-ish, and play bar chords up on the neck a-ways, it makes a pretty good guitar substitute - I mean it really sounds like a regualr power-chord guitar.

They're only $80, and one can probably be found to try out wherever you are, so I'd say it's worth looking into anyway.

From what I've read around here, lots of bass players don't like them, but some swear by them. I imagine I'll find a better one someday and say "I don't know how I ever put up with that thing", but for now I use it for more than half the songs our band does. It's set for a very light OD, mind you - if I switch it on and off while a note is sustaining (compressed sustain, remember), it's a subtle difference - probably undetectable with the rest of the band playing - but with the pre-emphasis/de-emphasis thing I have going between the tone controls on the CS and ODB, I love what it does with string attack / string noise (I LIKE string-clatter for rowdier songs)!

8. I personally like the ProCo Rat pedals. Very mean, but still has good note definition.
  9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Marshall Guv'nor II is what I use when I want... just about any distortion sound. A really great pedal, only $99 Cdn.

10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Try to find the original Guv'nor on eBay too, I find their tone harsher and heavier, but their price gets a little up there as a lot of people like them.

Also, I'll put in a vote for a ProCo RAT. A few tiny mods and it's perfect. If you want one thats great right out of the box, go for the Juggernaut, the bass version.

Or, my personal favorite, an Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi NYC Reissue. Swap a few inexpensive parts and get phenominal tone.
  11. So many distortions, so little space on the pedalboard! Here are some I've used:
    - Boss Bass Distortion: thought it lacked character
    - Big Muff: huge fat fuzz - best 'over the top' distorton I've played but the build quality was crap - mine fell apart.
    - Tech 21 XXL: my current favourite for moderate overdrive
    - Marshall Guv'nor - like a refined Tube Screamer - very controllable
    - DOD Gonkulator - a quirky pedal with separate controls for overdrive, fuzz and ring modulator - lots of fun

Non pedal solutions:
    For a bit of old school tube grind, the 'warm' switch on my Eden WT330 is perfect
    For recording, a little old tube amp is the way to go - my '63 Goldentone Bassmaster through an old Jensen 18" gives everything from smooth overdrive to insane fuzz with a tweak of the volume knob.