1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decent diy envelope pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Liron_al, Jun 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Liron_al

Liron_al

Jan 29, 2017
    Hey there,
    Looking for a good envelope filter pedal for a diy project.
    I had a chance to play around with the mxr pedal today and I can see myself using it from time to time but cannot justify the cost..
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Preferably with blend pot

Cheers!
    L

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    There's different levels of DIY...
    Looking for a kit?
    Just a printed circuit board?
    If you're looking for a schematic, try: freestompboxes.org

In my experience you won't save too much money building a pedal yourself, you will still end up spending $40 - $60 or more on parts and supplies unless you already have a stock of parts already.

3. Liron_al

Liron_al

Jan 29, 2017
    Comparing to $180 for the mxr, I think it's a good deal :)
    Thanks for the link!

4. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I've been working on my first DIY pedal (BJFE Blueberry Bass OD) since December (mostly fine tuning at this point). It's probably cost me over $200 so far. I found schematics and purchased all the parts to etch and solder my own boards. The costs do begin to add up. Maybe if there's a kit out there, you'd save some money. If you really liked the MXR, maybe find one used in the $100-$125 range.

@Crater is right, though, you may not end up saving a lot of money, and it's the kind of thing where once you have a little invested, you'll keep investing more until it's working right. If you like DIY projects, you'll have a great time and learn a lot though!

DIYStompboxes is another great site with schematics and forums to help you out.

5. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I agree. I looked into DYI pedals as well since it can be hard to justify the cost and some pedals are fairly expensive. After pricing out components and estimating how much time it would take to construct, I gave up and just purchased my pedals. I guess it is a good learning experience if you are into electronics

I make my own cables and adapters. That is cost effective.

6. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Check out BYOC they have a lot of pedal kits. Namely the DOD 440 EV filter with vintage specs and parts.

7. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    It really depends on the pedal too. Some are cheaper/simpler to make, and some factory versions of many pedals are so cheap that DIY versions aren't as cost effective.

Also DIY from scratch vs kits can be a lot different, some kits are pretty cheap and simplify the process, or inversely some kits are expensive and doing it from scratch might save a decent bit of $.

If you want to see the cheapest filter out here it is: https://www.amazon.com/ELECA-EFFECT-PEDAL-ENVELOP-FILTER/dp/B01C3HUTY4 23$ clone of the EHX bassballs. Just a sensitivity control and on/off switch for built in dirt.

You might be able to modify it though. Or if you just want a blend get a blender pedal (or make one).

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021