Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decent drum machine, $100-200 (used or new)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 8, 2003.

1. I need a drum machine for recording purposes (I hate playing drums on keyboards). I'd like it to be outboard, for portability reasons. Ease of programming is essential: I'm none too swift with signal processors and such, and I hate reading manuals.

The classic standby in this price range is the Alesis SR-16, but that's an ancient design. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm more than willing to purchase used gear.

2. The SR-16 might be considered more a classic design than an ancient one, it's copied by nearly all other machines of it's type. the benefits of the SR-16 is that many of the sounds are "real enough" for composing purposes and it's quite easy to edit sounds and settings.

You can even get it to sound like that snare on Love Will Tear Us Apart ('bout the same era)!!

3. :D :D :D

Well, they can be scored very cheaply on eBay, so I might go that direction after all. If I ever get serious about home recording anyway, I'll just get Reason and hook it to a Pro Tools LE rig.

4. Exactly. That's why the 16 is cool because it's cheap and works just fine til something better comes along. Check out some of the free drum software demos too like fruityloops.com and at hitsquad.com

Until recently my band was without drummer so the singer was "playing the SR-16 (and singing and playing guitar!)" and it held up pretty well (although our singer was pretty tired out!). You're never convinced it's a real drummer, but i suppose you could be if you had unlimited time and patience.

5. ive had two used sr 16 drum machines and both of them have had a very scratchy volume knob,.....one was ineffectual, seemed to make no difference in sound except that it would deaden if anything. is this common to all of them???

6. I've had a 16 for several years. It's a good value and can be programmed fairly easily. My volume knob is a littly scratchy, but I wouldn't call it defective. Doesn't sound as good as a Roland, but doesn't cost as much either. It has only crashed once during the hundreds of hours I used it.