Decent drum tracks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Velkov, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Hello there,

I have a big problem. I come up with a bass line/ guitar riff/piano riff, or whatever and I feel all inspired to go home and record it and add a bunch of other instruments and then the whole thing dies when I start trying to make up a drum track for it.

I have a SBLive! which is an OK sound card and I can use Sound Fonts too. I have Cakewalk Home Studio 9.0
    I know that I'll probably need more stuff to get a real drums sound. Well, I'll probably need real drums. But I don't have high expectations right now. All I think I need is some tips/ tutorials on how to make a decent drum track using standard MIDI software. Does anybody know where I could get that.

How do people that make jungle beats learn how to make their beats? Not that I'm into jungle music, but that's the best example I could come up with for somebody that doesn't necessarily play drums but can make drum tracks.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Usually people use sampled loops or singleshots to build drum tracks, not MIDI sounds. MIDI data is only used to trigger the samples.
    Sample CDs in AKAI format are very popular because in addition to the sample itself they contain additional data information, e.g. loop points, tuning/pitch, tempo etc. which make them easier to use. You need special programs like Virtual Sampler or Battery to read AKAIs. A pc won't recognize and read an AKAI because it's a native format.
    Virtual Sampler is great - and not too expensive.

There's also a similar things for computers, called rex files (introduced by Propellerhead Software.
    You have slices e.g. in a drum loop that can be pitched and changed around or played individually.
    Propellerhead's Recycle can make rex files.

A great all-in-one program that can play rex files is Propellerhead's Reason. Great sequencer.

Hm, that's what comes to my mind right now, I'm in a bit of a hurry, more later perhaps.