1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

decent fretlesses <900 (used, preferably)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PMC89, May 8, 2006.

1. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    this isn't another "recommend me a bass based on this vague description of what bands i like and how long i've been playing" thread.

i'm just wondering what decent choices are out there for 4 string fretlesses under 900, used preferred.

smooth and bassy are the way to be.

fire away.

2. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    MIM Fender Jazz Fretless.....that quickly comes to mind....

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    used mm sterling

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

Warwick Corvette Standard fretless.

My favorite warwick. Great tone.

5. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    spector rebop fretless...
    great bass.

6. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    +10 on the warwick corvette std fretless. I loooove mine. (In fact, it is my main bass)

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    - Warwick Corvette Std fretless (they`re heavy)
    - MM Stingray
    - Fender Jazz bass
    - Pedulla MVP (if you can find one for that price)

8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Connecticut
    There are a lot of good fretli out there for under a grand. Some are WAYYY under. In that category I have been impressed by the fretless MM Sub. I have also seen some good prices on clean used Stingrays, Sabres, Sterlings... A used Bongo 4 fretless might even drop to that price range. Heck, I think there was a fretless Zon Sonus 4 here on TB for under a grand.

Other basses that you might find for $900 or less in clean used condition:
    Modulus VJ
    Turner Electroline
    Fender USA Jazz
    MIJ Fretless Precision
    Godin A4 or A5

Also, Scan the used bass inventory at places like BassNW and you will get even more ideas.

9. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Lakland 44-02

10. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    9 SX P Fretlesses ;)

11. the cheaper option being the MIJ rip, warwick rockbass. I own one and it is a solid bass with real nice tone. It is deffinately within the price range that you are looking at and it's very versatile, my only gripe is the input jack is shaker than most.

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You can get a basic Carvin LB70f for 900 new. You can get a really tricked out one for well under that used. Smooth and bassy are two things that my LB75f does really well. It's also nice that the build quality is spectacular.

13. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    this will end up being my main player, so versatility is cool. as well as light weight. i have played and liked the warwick. i'll definitely look into all these suggestions.

thanks a lot! (thus far) and keep em comin.

14. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Carvin can get you a bolt on fretless with a couple custom options for that price. possibly a stock neck through.

15. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    what are dimensions on carvin necks? are we talking like, jazz? or thinner? or more like a p?

i've always been huge on trying things first..

16. I think with a fretless some quality issues just dont apply. For instance. Frets! Brands that make barely useful fretted basses may have eminently playable fretlesses. I will get flamed for this but I cant stand fender fretted basses, OTOH the same basses fretless are the shiznit. Another one is the Hohner blond semi hollow DC fretless (anybody got a model name on that?) Those basses dont have the lowest action, but have great tone! Also the Gibson Grabber is a sick fretless if you can find one! As far as Pedulla, if I ever see one for under a grand, it is going home with me. esp a pentabuzz!

17. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    the spacing is quite close, but i think the necks have a different profile. i haven't spent much time comparing the two, so maybe someone else can answer the question better.

18. Nitkin

Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    Barcelona,Spain
    Ibanez Musician will be great, even for less money