Decent guitar for a beginner.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Ok, recently I've been thinking about getting a guitar. I have never played one, but feel like expanding my musical knowledge. Bass will still be my primary instrument, but I think guitar might be fun.

So, my querry is, what brand/ style would be good for me, who has never played a geetar before in my life, who might not be any good, and who might not even like it?

I've got a bid on a Squier Affinity Strat on eBay. I'm not looking to spend much, since I might decide not to stick with it.

2. My first guitar was a Squier Strat. I found the neck very uncomfortable. Depending on how big your hands are and how used to the string spacing on bass you are, this may be the same for you. So, I sold it and got an Ibanez GAX70. I got it for $190. It has 2 humbuckers and a hardtail bridge, both of which I wanted. And the biggest selling point was the nice wide neck. If you want more tone/volume out of a guitar, disconnect the volume/tone knobs.
  3. My first guitar was a Squier Strat, and I found it to be very easy to play, and very easy to learn on, so I guess it has to do with the size of your hands, as mine are very small. But anyway, I thought it was a good guitar to learn on and very cheap as well.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    squier standard or affinity strat. the standard feels better to my hands than the affinity but i can't tell much of a difference. [based on side by side comp]. I've gone back & forth about buyin a guitar-do i really wanna spend money on somethin none bass related? :D
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Squier Strat is a good starter electric. Another good one is the Epiphone Les Paul series. The entry level model is usually around $179. I have a Studio model, and it plays and sounds darned near as good as the $1700 Gibson version.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a single electric in the house. I was playing a Warmoth Tele until I gave it to a friend, and had collected most of the parts for another until I was offered a trade for a Gibson SG-I. I'm much, much happier with the feel and sound of the SG.

I'd advise that you try examples of all the major types - Strat, Tele, Les Paul, SG, etc. before you spend your money. Squier and Epiphone models would help keep the price down, particularly if you buy used.

I was convinced I loved Teles until I played a SG - it was very similar to the epiphany that accompanied the acquisition of my Sterling. Wowza!
  7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Get yourself a De Armond M75.
    For the money you can't beat them!
  8. Yep - I have to vote for the Squier Strat. I picked one up years ago - it was lovely (mine was a Wayne's World 2 Squier Strat made in Japan!) Didn't look anything like the Strat in Wayne's World. It has a large Fender logo on the headstock and a small Squier one!!! It played really nicely.

I've just has a set of Fender Texas Specials put in it and the sound is fantatsic. While they were getting put in, I asked the tech to wire up the bridge pickup to the middle pickup tone pot - now I can cut back a little of the harshness of the bridge pup!!!!

I would recommend what Heavyduty says - go try a few and find out what feels good to you, you may want cheap - but you don't want nasty!!!
  9. After losing my ebay bid :( I flipped through the old MF catalog and right there on the front... A Yahama Pacifica for $129.99. Not a bad looking geetar. 2 single coils, and a bridge humbucker, volume/ tone knobs, 5 way switch, and a whammy bar. Also catching my eye was a Squier affinity Strat ($149) Epiphone Basher Les Paul ($159) and the Epiphone Bully modified SG ($159).

I'm leaning toward either the LesPaul or the SG (both come in "Blood Stain" red and "Bruise" purple). How is the neckdive on these styles? I've played a Les Paul bass, and the neck dive was awful. I don't expect it to be as bad, since geetars are so much lighter than basses.