Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decent Lightweight Rack Case or Bag

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peabody, Jul 9, 2004.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I searched the forums and got a few ideas, but I'd like to narrow my focus. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good lightweight rack case or bag? I have a Demeter VTBP 201s and a Stewart World 1.6 amp on the way and I'm looking for good way to carry them around. Here is specifically what I'm looking for...
    1. Lightweight - One of the main reasons I picked the Stewart for its light weight. I'd hate to put a 16 lb amp into a 40 lb case. It kind of defeats the purpose.
    2. I'm looking for a 4 space - The Demter is one space and the Stew will be two, and I think it's probably smart to have an extra space, just in case.
    2. Minimum of 17" deep - It must be deep enough for the units to fit. The Stew supposedly is 15.3" deep. I prefer not to have to cram things in.
    3. Rack or bag? - I was originally looking at a bag because I thought they'd be lighter, but it appears this isn't always the case. Opinions on one or the other?
    4. Reasonably priced - I'd like to stay under $125 if I can.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
  3. Rkadair

Rkadair

Sep 30, 2001
    Las vegas Nevada
  4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'd go with an SKB Roto Rack over a bag...some of the bags seem to droop a bit, and I think they don't have as much space around them for ventilation. Plus, as noted, the bags sometimes have more weight and aren't as easy to carry.

5. i have decided to order a 4-space rack bag from sweetwater. it's made by modern case company, which is in the upper penninsula of michigan. i looked at skb, gator, and others and decided this is how i want to go.

i don't think that the stewart would fit in the ones sweetwater carries (15" depth), but you can get them up to 18" deep direct from modern case. you just have to call their 800 number on their website.

i have a warwick quadruplet preamp (1U/9lbs.) and a crest pro 7200 power amp(2U/24lbs.). i'm using it to power a bergantino HT-112. it's a very lightweight rig; it's also the loudest rig i've ever owned.

robb.

robb.

6. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I bought this real sweet rack from SKB. It has wheels like luggage and a pull out handle. not sure of the "name" of the rack, but it has soooo helped me with lugging my Mesa 400+ around! I've never been happier! I used to use a Grundorf rack and it weighed about 20lbs by itself!

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    4-space racks are never easy to carry. Bags or plastic molded cases still ride best on a luggage cart. I had a bag for a long time and gave up on it. It was just too hard to carry all of that weight. I now use a folding luggage cart to move my stuff around. Also, I reduced my head down to a single 2-space SKB case.

Another thing to look at is the Gator cases with wheels. They now offer a case that has an retractable handle and wheels just like modern luggage. I've never used one, but I've got to say that they look very tempting.

8. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sidecar666, does the name "RollX" ring a bell? That's what SKB is selling now. Have the wheels and handle held up for you? I wondered how durable they'd be.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've been using the ProTech bags for several years. No issues from me. But I recently got a Stewart 2.1 which is longer than my bag. So it's good news to hear about the bag from Modern.

rcz, did you get any prices on the Modern bags?

10. I got the 3 space Modern Case rack bag from Sweetwater about two and a half years ago. I've found it a good compromise between weight and protection. A bit lighter than some other bags (the interior wood shell is very light), it has held up to my usage (in and out of my car trunk 2-4 times a week). The exterior is canvas (cordura) and the whole bag is lightly padded. The zippers and handles haven't shown any sign of coming apart (the handle does need a bit more padding). All in all, not as deluxe as a ProTec, but it's lighter and it's holding up OK.

BTW, Sweetwater carries both the 14" (interior) depth and the 18" deep bags as well as the new Gator rack bags.
    Rack Bags at Sweetwater

11. they charge list price to buy direct from them (no surprise there), which is in the neighborhood of $105. you'll have to call the 800 number, though, since their direct site casestore.com is being updated and is not available.

i guess there's no reason why sweetwater can't order the 18" rack bag, but they don't have it listed on their website in any size other than 3U. in all cases sweetwater, it's always best to talk to one of their sales people to get what you want.

i'm all about modern case because they're (sort of) in my home state of michigan, and i have a padded gig bag of their that came with my first bass in 1993. the endpin is finally starting to wear through, but everything else is still perfect after over 10 years of use. if the rack bags are made in like fashion, they'll last forever.

robb.

12. Hadn't noticed that. Maybe Sweetwater is trying out the deeper bag in just 3 up, but I would suspect as well that they could order the deeper model.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just use a standard SKB ATA 4-space. The Roto may be OK too.

14. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Thanks everyone for all of the input. I decided to go with the SKB Roto rack. At 14 lbs and $75, it should fit my needs. This should put my whole rig at less than 40 pounds. My back is thanking me already.