1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

decent low priced portable bass amp/cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by meinl, May 12, 2010.

1. Hello,

Next year I will probably transferring to South Korea for school. I don't want this to keep from playing bass so I will bring it with. I have an amp here that I like a lot, but it would be impractical to bring it. So is there an amp out there that is small, light weight, portable, and cheaper. I have a 5 string bass so the low B maybe a stickler for this :D. So anything under about $500 that is about 40 pounds that can decently play a low B that can be somewhat heard with a drumset?
    thanks for the help.
    peace,
    matt

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Combo? Or head/cab setup?

3. either I don't really care. About a month ago I was with a band watching them practice in a small college practice room. The bassist had a small swr 10" and he was trying to compete with two eletrics and a loud drummer... all the knobs were turned all the way up and the speaker cone was moving a lot. Which this is bad for both the speaker and the amp. I don't want this situation if possible. ;-)

4. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    The Gallien Krueger MB210 is just over your budget at $599 (on musicians friend) but I would choose it over the MB115 just because you get a 500 watt amp instead of the 200 watt.

But, the 200w MB115 is a pretty nice combo. And they're both sub-40 lbs.

5. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    Whatever you get, make sure it can be switched over for operation on 220 volt electrical power. Apparently the South Koreans are in the process of moving away from their previous standard of 110 volt/60 Hz

Electricity Around the World

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    have you thought of making your purchase once you get there? shipping may cost ya and i bet with all the basses they make there they must have some amps just lying around........:smug:

7. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Lots of places to buy there. Try the Nakwon Market near Insadong. Unless you plan to carry it on the plane, taking an amp to Korea will be mucho expensive. You will be amazed at the stuff you can get there. Nakwon is the music center of Seoul and the quality of stuff is generally pretty good to superb. And try go get to Busan this summer. Bands playing all along the beachfront. Where are you going to school?

8. to mophat I like the looks of the GK my current amp is an ampeg b200r combo so the 1x15 looks appealing. I think I would like that more since from experience I have noticed that 2x10's don't handle a low B very well , but your welcome to correct me if I'm wrong. (just hope I can justify another amp to my rents that is... :D)

To AnchorHoy I don't know a ton about power stuff is there somesort of adapter I can get? or do I just need to check with the GK?

I don't know where I'm staying or going to school yet, but it will workout. Hopefully the family likes music ;):D

I want to take the amp on the plane with me hence the under 40lb's.
    thanks though guys
    peace,
    matt

9. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    You'll need an adapter to plug anything in. It's the same volts/amps as the U.S., just the plug ends are round instead of flat like here. Their cheap at any electronics store, so take a couple. I haven't heard about Korea switching to 220, and the way Korea is set up, it would probably take a hundred years or so get all the housing switched over, so I wouldn't worry about it. Koreans are kinda sensitive about making noise and disturbing the neighbors, so keep that in mind. Headphones are suggested.

10. I plan on buying some head phones since I'm somewhat of an audiophile and can't take my stereo with me. I'll look up the plugs though ok thanks

11. How about an Ampeg Portabass? I don't have any experience with one but it seems like a pretty good portable setup.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm going to third my idea of buying in korea. perhaps you will have time to do research here so you know where to go, prices, availability, etc.

FWIW, most amps can be easily modified for the voltages in different countries so thats not a huge issue but find out first. I suppose buying a mini head here and then buying a cab overseas might work too if you have the unit adapted for whatever voltage they use in korea. Still, there has to be tons of availability over there. and man, do they make great basses or what?

13. I talked to a Korean guy who goes to my school today and he said they have lots of music stores, but he still thought I should buy the amp here and not there. Then again he was a flute player not a bassist...

14. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    For a little more, a used Markbass 121p combo amp. Loud, portable, sounds great.

15. Too bad your budget isn't a bit more, Phil Jones makes some great portable amps, and the have a power option for European and overseas use.

16. the fortunes of teenager I have. I live miles from anything and can't drive so getting a job is hard. :meh:
    At least my dad is somewhat supportive of my bass playing, but it did take about a year to convince him people actually replace pickups and it a normal thing.:rollno::D

I don't know why I chose music know I have this gear buying curse hanging over head...:smug:

the plil Jones looks rather interesting I'd be interested in trying one of those guys sometime. How do 5" handle a low B. thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.
    peace,
    matt:bassist:

17. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    +1

Even if you buy a lightweight amp, the airline will dimensionalize it and charge on its size.

18. I looked at some websites of nakwon area market stores and they seem really expensive. I am guessing haggling makes the price good, but from traveling in the past i know people usually don't give foreigners a good a price. Does sound like a cool area though. Are there stores where you can buy namebrand or rather good stuff for cheap?

I found a list of a few Seoul music shops http://faisk.com/index.php?p=2_11 not the haggling kind I don't think ;-)