Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decent Low Wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 8, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right I use to have a trace eliot boxer 60 watt amp with a 12" speaker it was more than enough volume wise but it didn't have a great tone. So I sold that and now I have a crappy 10w ibanez practice amp so I looking to upgrade. I was thinking if I got a decent small head like an ampeg porta bass i could build a small cab with a 12" or maybe 2 10" and it would have that sweet warm sound us bass players dream of, I'm not really planing to play live really just record and practice. Anyone got any ideas on smal low powered amps that have beautiful tone and handle effects and most types of music. I play a rickenbacker and a 5 string peavey if this helps.
    Thanx in advance

2. If you have the sufficient funds to buy a low powered rig now, and a high powered one later, then go for it. But if you arent that rich, get a nice, high powered rig, that sounds good at both high and low volumes.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I was just reading the compact bass rig post and i'd like something like a iamp but I don't and never will need 1200 watts max I don't want to pay for something i'm never going to use i.e 1100 extra watts. Just want a small cheap decent sounding head and when i say cheap I mean about $600 and when I say small I mean it has to fit in a backpack cos i'll be transporting it from the states to my poor ass country :p . Any ideas

4. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Well, if you really only want 100 watts, the Clarus would be plenty for you. It's very, very small. There is a lot of interest these days in compact rigs, so I'm not sure which thread it is that you were just reading... but in the 'Ultimate Compact...the Head' thread, there's some discussion on the Clarus. Check out http://www.urbbob.com/accimg.html for pricing and features. It fits your size, wattage, and price description perfectly. Now to consider features and desired sound... a whole 'nother question.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yer I had a look at the clarus but on there web site they didn't really recomend it for a distored output and I like to use effects alot of the time so i'm not sure if this would handle what i'm after and they also said the eq wasn't designed to be dramatic well I need it to be I like to dabble in all types of music and need a amp that will sound good with different bands. But a thought did cross my mind what about a bass pod on a little stand plugged into a 100 watt power amp this would suit my criteria and would give me a decent di box and the ability to upgrade the power amp if I need to.
    Thoughts?
    Has any one got experiance with the clarus if so what music have you played with it.

6. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Just thinking out loud here, but how about one of those new MXR DI's ( http://www.bassplayer.com/article/mainv/0,7220,32637,00.html )? If you're willing to get a poweramp too, how about a small Stewart World power amp (they have a couple 1 rack space units) with this MXR? It's a preamp/DI/distortion unit in pedal form. Sort of a SansAmp with some funk stirred in. The price is right, too.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Thats quite a good idea but now to go way off from the target i started with what about a decent di and a fender passport pa or something of that nature or would that not render the sweet warm sound i'm looking for. I'm fully open to ideas here my amp is better off as a seat, but my options are limited, a small combo here such as the harke b60 costs about $600 here they have no separates or rackmount pre amps what the do have are very cheap power full power amps and speaker cabs so give me ideas to work with I could get a small head or preamp from the states.
    Ideas Ideas Ideas.