decent metal hard rock bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pestilence, Apr 21, 2004.

1. pestilence

Feb 4, 2004
    im looking for a decent bass for small gigs and recording under $1000 with an iced earth kinda sound any suggestions?
  2. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Iced earth? Haven't heard... get an american P-bass used (much less than a grand, and cool too).
  3. pestilence

Feb 4, 2004
    how are the pickups on that they look pretty wimpy
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Deep and Thumpy sounding
  5. well i personally have never listened to iced earth but i know enought that they are more on the metal edge. if u want the metallica sound get somthin with emg's. iced earth...emg's. if u want more of that sound and look id go with the ltd f-204 or 205. i believe they are 400 dollars. but a p bass would most likely also work. odds are thats waht thier bassists uses in the studio any way. its universal. a bass with jazz pickups would also work im sure. ur welcom. josh
  6. hmmm, Steve Harris plays a "wimpy" looking bass??? I wonder if he realizes that????

Get a P-bass with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders and a Badass bridge. You'll be good to go!!
  7. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    :bassist: I love Iced Earth

I have to give a nod to ESP LTD basses in the Metal sound department. The sound great playing heavy stuff :bassist:
  8. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Also an SRX-500 is a pretty good choice. You can get alot of good tone from it with sounds like Holier Than Thou and Devils Dance. I have even been able to get some decent tones out of a Rogue 20W Amp. You should go up to Guitar Center and try out the SRX on an Ampeg BA115. You will be amazed on all the different types of tones you can get. :cool: :bassist:
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stingray. P-Bass. Period.

Arch Enemy used Rickenbackers and they sounded great.
  10. check out a few spectors, ns-2000 neck thru, rebop... czech neck thru models... they are all pretty good for metal
  11. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I vote for the Stingrays. If you get sick of metal, it'll still serve you well in other styles of music :)
  12. pestilence

Feb 4, 2004
    wow this forum is awesome really helpful thanks guys
  13. I'd go for a spector, the rebop model is available new in that price range and you can usually find a euro series neck through used in that price range.
  14. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    for metal i would use an old charvel 3-b? neck-thru four stringer. Pantera's bassist used one for a long while before his Spector. (Cowboy's from hell anyone?) I have heard those old Jacksons with the pointy headstocks from the 80's and they are good basses also. Or old B.C. Rich USA models. (ahh the 80's) Or as the previous posts said, you can't go wrong with a P-bass.
  15. jeej, other Iced Earth fans, they're great, but this aside

I'm also a big fan of Iced Earth, and I play in my band a Musicman Stingray, good for all kinds of metal and rock, even jazz and blues. You can get one second handed if you don't want to spend more then 1000.
    Another option is searching a second hand Peavey cirrus, that will get you very close to the iced earth sound I think. I know I will buy a Cirrus 6 later :hyper:
  16. 4-string: P-bass or Rick

5-string: Spector
  17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Well, Steve Harris uses a P bass. The guy in Judas Priest used to use a J bass when they were big. Sting ray? Any of these have a focused, thumpy tone. All you would need

18. I know I know.... ;)

My suggestion would be P-Bass or Stingray. I have a P-Bass and it has loads of growl to it, I play a bit of sorta Avenged Sevenfold/Bleeding Through/Every Time I Die and it sounds great for all that.

Good luck!
  19. A warwick is nice too. I just made a great deal: I handed in my MIM fender jazz (which I have for about 2 years), gave the shop 100 euro extra, and got a perfectly second hand Corvette proline. Not even a scratch on it.
    But I'll have to wait till saturday, because I don't have my own car. I'll post pics of my new 'family' as soon as I have a digital camera.
    and the warwick plays really nice :hyper:
  20. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What era are you talking about?

In 1991 he played Ibanez 4 string (not sure of the model)..

1995 ~ 2001: Warwick Fortress & Spector 4 strings

2002: Fender and Modulus 5 strings..

So, I guess if you're wanting an "Iced Earth type sound" anyone of these brands should do the trick..