1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decent Multi-FX Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CopiusX, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Alright, having spent a long time GASing over pedals and being completely incapable of picking which ones I want, I've decided to go for a nice multi-FX. I'm thinking in the $500 range. Some of the effects I've been looking at separately are distortion, octaver, synth, and wah, so a pedal with those and more would be amazing. Given my desire to wah it up, and expression pedal would be nice, but I'd be willing to forsake it if there was another model with better distortion, octaver, and synth.

Tl;dr: What's a good Multi-FX Pedal in the $500 range?

2. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Boss gt-6b. extensive synth section, good wah control. the ps-2 octaver and ps-3 harmony brains, Customizable distortions with blend control. i really enjoy this unit and they are really cheap these days. if menus are not for you I've also used the boss Me-50b. much the same, though not as extensive, and cheaper. has plenty of knobs for instant settings and plays well with the set-it-and-forget-it approach, but also has and patch memories as well, so you have the run choices

I've used Zoom units and not been impressed. I also tried abriefly the b-50 form Digitech and thought that it was good for some ambient stuff in the background of hte signal, it was a poor choice for a main player

3. For $500 you could easily pick up four quality single units, and most likely have some left over for some other pedals. I'd recommend the 105Q for the wah, the Bass Big Muff for the distortion (you can blend wet and dry in the pedal itself, allowing for a good distortion sound), and OC-2 for the octave. Throw in a micro Q-tron and you can combine the three effects for an awesome synth tone. All of that will run you a little over $300 if you know where to look.

4. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    what's a multifx?

5. korg ax3000b.

amazing pedal. do a search.

6. multieffects blow. don't waste your time/money

7. Guys, he's asking for a multi effects pedal not for flaming.

Seriously I would consider to buy the Boss-Gt-6B or save a little more and get the new gt-10b.

8. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Okay, here's the thing about MFX pedals: it's all about how you use them. Do NOT plug it into the input of your amp. It WILL suck. DO plug into it and it into the FX return of your FX loop. It WILL rock. Do NOT use the presets. DO spend some time getting to know the pedal and it's functions; download PDF manuals BEFORE you buy. Do NOT try to emulate another artist or tone EXACTLY. DO try to come close, but realize that close is as good as it gets. After that, any pedal will work. Find the one that fits your price range and whose FX and layout you like and go for it. Cheers!

Oh and if you want I'll mail you a Digitech BP80 that I have with it's AC adapter. You pay shipping and handling, but that's it. PM me if interested.

9. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    the best multi effect i've used is the line 6 m-13 stombox modeler. tons of great effects, very straight forward.

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I plug mine into the main input, and do you know what? it sounds fantastic.

There is no 'correct' way to do this. I for one have never seen multifx manual specifically directing to plug into the fx return.

If it works for you, then great, but it's not for everyone.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Definitely the korg "toneworks" ax3000b. it's got a large variety of effects, amp and cabs models. it costs 200 dollars and it's got awesome sound quality.:cool:

12. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I like my Zoom b9.1ut.

13. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I am a big fan of the BOSS VF-1. I use the reverb, modeled amps, delays, and sometimes the synth patch. It bypasses very nicely without killing the tone, and it's very portable.

Michael Manring and Ed Friedland use the VF-1, and they get great sounds out of it.

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    +1. Very, very easy to use and has a great looper to boot. (Whatever that means.)

15. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    That's fair. I have read so many reviews of MFX's that say in one way or another that they are poor quality items and not worth the money. In almost, but not all, cases the reviewer did not attempt to explore in depth the variety of functions that the device in question had. That or they were irritated that the device couldn't give them the exact tone of whatever. The fact remains that MFX's provide a great variety of FX's and tones of largely decent quality at a low price point, if and only if the owner/user will read the manual and experiment to find the best way to use the unit. As with everything, YMMV.

16. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    +1 for Line 6 M13

17. SS_korn89

SS_korn89

Mar 10, 2004
    Omaha
    +1 again for the Line6 M13

18. I'm sure you'd be happy with a GT6-B, extremely versatile box, and if you aren't afraid of tweaking, you can replicate and recreate a whole host of tones supposedly only available in single pedals. They are cheap these days, being a superseded model.

19. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    The BOSS ME-50B is what you could call decent. It's also being blown out in GC for 225$.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All multis have things they excel at and things they blow at. Like my old Boss ME-33 sucks at phasing and flanging, does OK with distortion, and kicks ass with reverb/delay. My Zoom B2 does OK at phase/flange and envelope, great with distortion (some disagree on here but I like it), and horrible with octaver and synth.