Decent performance combo amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by furtim, Dec 16, 2000.

1. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I decided that trying to rip apart my Fender BXR-25 and upgrading the cab would be too much trouble for the worth, so I'm back with a new question. I figure I can sell the BXR for around $200 (I've seen it listed as $300, selling for $230 online, and I paid around $240 for it last year) and pull together some extra money on top of that for a new combo amp.

So I'm out there looking for a combo amp with some punch that performs well in both the volume and clarity departments. Hopefully, it would be something that could punch through two guitarists and a drummer in a rock/metal/punk configuration. My guitarists each have their own amps, the lead with a 90W and the rhythmn with a 50W, both never going up to 10. Is there any combo in the $300 range (though UNDER $300 would be preferred) that could at least keep me a presence in that kind of situation, if not necessarily push my sound out above everyone else? I was looking at either the Hartke 90 or 60 after reading some reviews and checking out online shops. I'll be going out next week (likely Tuesday) to do some real in-store shopping, but I likely won't actually buy anything until after Christmas. Any pertinent info would be nice. =)

[Edited by furtim on 12-17-2000 at 02:43 AM]
  2. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Carvin's got 100w combos with either a 10" or 15" speaker in 'em--$279 and $299 respectively. I like mine (10" version), though I've never been in a band situation with it.

(regardless of the fact that 100 watts is/isn't enough power to play out with, depending on who you ask)

and if you have the money, you can get a Carvin 160w/15" for $399.
  3. spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
  4. I'll second the BA-115.. got mine for $330 brand new.. one of the best choices I've ever made.
  5. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    This BA-115 may be what I'm looking for...

But has a Hartke B90 for $290. Should I be very excited?
  6. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive also got the BA-115.IMHO one of the best combos around.Check BNW's site.They have a 150 watt Ampeg combo up for grabs but a little over 300.They also had the BR+BA series on sale but im not sure if thats still on.Good luck!
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    You might be able to find a used Peavey Combo 115 or Combo 210TX for that. These are big honking combos, pushing about 210 watts (300, if you add a four-ohm extension cab) -- and you're going to need it to cut through two guitarists and a drummer.

Rugged, dependable and some nice features (pretty good onboard compressor), and decent sounding, these are pretty popular and available in the used market.
  8. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I agree with Jcadmus. The Peavey combos are great but a little more expensive. The Peavey 210tx and T-Max have been discontinued but you could probably find one used for around $500. They're loud enough and from what I've heard and read they have the best sound for their price. I own a T-MAX and I'm very happy with everything about it. Except the loudass fan!
  9. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I think I'm gonna end up going with the BA-112 from Ampeg. I've found a good deal on it at the same site where I found the Fender Fretless Jazz I want to get. The best part is that I think I'll be able to afford both without selling my BXR-25... which means that I can sell the BXR at my leisure and wait for a really good price, so I can afford some instrument upgrades on top of everything else. That's good, considering that the Fender is just a plain Standard and not America. And with mail-order (believe me, I tried to find one locally)... there's just no telling what I'll need to change.

Also, I think that the 50 watts of the BA-112 will be about enough. I played with a 35 on Saturday and it was audible through the mix if I turned it all the way up... which made the thing sound terribly distorted, because it was a pretty crappy amp and had a gain control instead of straight volume. From what I've read on the Ampegs, though, distortion is NOT a problem, even at high volumes. I like that idea. :) By the way, the guitarists usually turn down, so they're nowhere near top volume. 50 watts should be enough for that, eh?