Decent PJ combo

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Jul 21, 2005.

1. My Yamaha RBX170 sounds pretty good...I've pulled the pickups very close to the strings and it has made a HUGE tonal P-style pup is OK...but my bridge pup is still a bit "hmmmm".

when I dial in my J, the sound is very thin...I have to really push the mids on my amp to get a decent mid-range growl.

Any suggestions on what to do? Perhaps new pups? Any suggestions.

I've already decided to change out the pots, because they really only adjust in the last 1/4 turn and THAT is sooo very annoying. Besides, I wanna slap some chrome knobs on her too.

Anyway...what IS in those cheap Yammy's anyway and what can I do to improve her...on a budget ($100 MAX).
  2. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    J's are meant to be paired with other j's, they just don't stand alone well. You ought to replace it with a humbucking J, like a dimarzio or something. Carvin also makes a model, as well as a variety of other brands, Nordstrand, etc.
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I would like to know too. Not to derail your thread, but I'm in the same boat.

I have a fender aerodyne, that I want to replace the pups on. They sound ok, but i have to add effects to get the mid/low-mid growl I want out of it. I'm thinning out my pedal board, so I'm looking for an aggressive set of passive pups that are very high output with tons on growl.

Think G&L or Music man type of tone. Thanks in advance guys.
  4. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    As posted in a recent thread.. DiMarzio DP126 set is hot. the P (basically a model P) is silly hot, and my J pickup does quite well on its own.
  5. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Agreed, DannoBNL.

I'd also like to throw in a suggestion for the Dimarzio UltraJazz rear pickup - a very solid rear PU that has a nice thing happening in the lows and low mids.
  6. Ive heard the aerodynes are a bit noisey with the stocks ?

I really want one, and to get a stacked J pup and either an EMG or SD 1/4 pounder for the P

Not to mention, they look cool as **** :D
  7. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    an EMG p/j set is 150, so save another 50, and you can get a P/J kit (includes Pickups and pre-amp).
  8. my deluxe -p-bass with a pj configuration is good for me, but I WANT MORE. OF EVERYTHING. i'm not sure if i should do it tho, because my amp and bass and od pedal (boss odb-3) handle it great without too much feedback....would getting another set of pups that just give more of everything (bass mids treble volume) without increasing feedback?
  9. How about the Bartolini set? I had a single Bart J on a project bass at one point, and it sounded pretty good. I'm considering redoing an old Hohner fretless with them now.

If you have to buy a P and a J seperately it might get pricey (~$200), but I've seen sets for ~$150.

-- Sam
  10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I don't find the stocks to be too noisy. But, I find they are lacking in overall punch and growl. I need to use effects w/ my aerodyne to get the tone I like. I run a sansamp and a compressor all the time with it.

With my G&L the stock pups are so agressive, warm, punchy and loud- I don't need any effects for my main clean tone...the two basses are like night and day.

I'm thinning out my pedal board to make room for more interesting effects. Plus, I prefer my main tone to come from my bass, amp and cabs. So I want to replace the stock pickups on my aerodyne with something comparable to G&L or MM pickups- in terms of punch, growl, warmth and volume.

I'm thinking Duncan antiquities...I've heard they are outstanding. Any other suggestions would be great. Only requirment: must be passive. EMGs are not for me.