Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decent Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Usul, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Who makes a well built,good sounding,solid little practice amp?
    Need something small to take when I go out of town or to a freind`s house.I had an Ibanez 10 watt but it really sucked in the sound dept.I hear the Danolectro nifty 70 is good,and the pignose too...

Thanks

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Peavey Microbass does the trick. Very portable, very inexpensive and... well, it doesn't sound half bad, considering its size.

3. A Hartke b30 is really nice, too.

Avoid Trace Elliot combos.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    An old Gibson "Thor" showed-up at Elderly recently.

All-tube / 2x10" / 50 (?) Watt combo / EL34's / $300.

(upper right in the pic :) )

[​IMG]

(schematic)

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree, the Peavey microbass is the best practice amp, IMHO. I'm thinking about picking one up.
    I've read in some reviews that they can even handle playing small shows.

6. Don't overlook the Peavey Minx 110. It is a very nice practice amp, and does ok with the low B. They are fairly plentiful on eBay.

I'm going to hotrod my Minx 110 by putting the amp guts into a slightly bigger cabinet with a different 10" and a 6" mid-bass. It will only be a few inches taller than stock, and will remain portable.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The Microbass is a really nice amp. I hear that some people are taking them to gigs, then miking them up. By doing that, you can play small gigs with it. Nice bottom end for an amp its size.
    Worth a look IMHO.

8. Peavey Microbass or Fender Frontman 15 or 25.

9. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    G-K has a 400RB 112 combo that would do the trick very nicely. It has the 400RB head in it. Check American Musical Supply (americanmusical.com)--I think they have great prices on those. It would be great for practice and even rehearsal in a pinch.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Can you say "overkill"? :D And $680 for a practice amp...? Well, if we're going that route, I might as well suggest the EBS Drome 1x12" combo... best "practice amp" the world has ever seen! ;)

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree with Oysterman. The GK head would be an overkill. If you're gonna get something like that, you might as well spend a few hundred more and get a head and cab.

I suggest the Peavey Microbass, or the Peavey Minx 110.

12. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I'd go with the Peavey Minx 110. I picked mine up at a pawn shop for about $50 and it has been WELL worth it. They sell for about $225 new, but you could get one on eBay for around $80. This is a really nice practice amp with plenty of volume and sound for the $$$!!!

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    my microbass crackles, pops, etc. But it may be because my cat pissed on the cone, but i think it crackled before that. It is an early 90s one 92 or 93, and i got it brand new. The peaveys are a lot better than they were then. I would go for a 15" combo, but that is just imo.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Portrait, it's probably either rumbled some soldering loose... Either that or you blew the speaker, both are common problems in practice amps. They're usually too small to handle the bass they get pushed through 'em.

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Check out the Yorkville BassMaster 50, light weight i.e. less than 30lbs, not terribly expensive and great sound.

16. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    another vote for pevey microbass

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey!! That's what I did today... and posted a question about a app I downloaded from your website.

Instead of 1x6.5 I made a new box, large enough to contain 2x8 speakers.

I built it so that the amp electronics would fit in, just as it does with the smaller cab... so now I can choose either.

But, I assume that in such a small box I should port it... and wanted to use your program to figure out what size of port to use.

Could you define the terms it requests when you "add a driver"? I don't know what info to try to find out from the place I bought the 8s.

Thanks!! I guess I better delete the other post since I wrote all this...

18. http://xsspl.tripod.com/Audio/VentCal1.htm

The above site is pretty good at explaining port calculations. You'll get kind of close, but the only accurate method is using a digital volt meter. You do it by getting a 100 ohm power resistor from Radio Shack for under a buck, and putting the 100 ohm resistor in series with your speaker line.

The volt meter is attached across the speaker connectors, so you are reading the voltage across the speaker itself. The 100 ohm resistor keeps the circuit at a constant voltage, so you are reading the changes at the speaker that result when it hits resonance. The lowest voltage is the box tuning frequency. It will coincide with the least apparent cone movement (unless you have air leaks).

When you add a 2nd driver (speaker) to a cabinet, it doubles the amount of cabinet volume required. If you use the Perfect Box program from my site, it compensates for this by asking you. Perfect Box also does box sizing and port calculations.

Porting a small box to a low frequency will require a large diameter port to reduce air velocity, and a long duct length to tune it correctly. Don't be suprised if you see long lengths. Use the web site calculator above to determine the minimum diamter port size.

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks a bunch! I noticed that this website gives you the minimum diameter, but also gives you a minimum area. If the min diameter was 4" and the min area was 12.56", could I ignore the min diameter and make multiple smaller ports that added up the the desired area?

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I noticed on multiple speaker boxes that often the speakers are rated at 45 hz or so but the cab is tuned lower. How can you determine how much lower you could tune a box by adding mutiple speakers?