decent short speakon cables?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wengr, Sep 8, 2010.

1. wengr

wengr Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2010
    seems more and more heads have speakon outs only. I have such a head enroute to me and no cables. Can't seem to find decent priced decent quality short speakon cables. any suggestions?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Make your own, get the cable and plugs from Parts Express.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I buy my Speakons locally. I use the Dayton 13 gauge 2 conductor and 4 conductor speaker cable available from www.partsexpress.com.

How much do you need? If you look / ask around, you'll probably find a dysfunctional 14 gauge speaker cable (1/4" > 1/4"). Just snip off the ends and install the Speakons. I like free.

Riis

4. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    +1

If you can strip a wire and use a screwdriver you'll save an awful lot of money.

5. dminer

dminer

Nov 26, 2007
  6. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    I get all mine made up to order at the local theatre supplies shop, tend to be quite cheap and they've not failed me yet.

7. wengr

wengr Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I ordered some Hosa's to get started. But I like the idea of building them. Did'nt know they were solderless. I'll be making some in the near future.

8. EricJ

EricJ

Feb 28, 2008
    Actually they're either soldered or solderless. Very easy to solder, and soldering seems like the way to go, long term.

I needed two cables to use together. Bought one 10' premade 12/2 Whirlwind, about the thickness of a small garden hose, and two extra connectors, and cut the premade cable in half. Nice because there's a model to go by on the end of each new cable, pretty much idiotproofing the job (an important plus in my case).

9. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
  10. Drucifer

Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
  11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
  12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You paid twice what it's worth. The OP specifically is looking for decent priced.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You can also buy two-conductor, round-jacket wire at a hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, electrical supply store, etc.

14. wengr

wengr Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Does it need to be round jacket? Do the connectors require round?

15. wengr

wengr Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Ok so there are no local speakon connectors available, no cables except grossly overpriced GC stuff. My Tecamp Puma 500 has just arrived, so I'll be looking at a puma sitting on a stack of Aggie db112's for days with no cable- aargh:)

16. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    No--I've used 12-gauge wire in a side-by-side configuration to build speakon cables.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
  18. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    I bought 14-2 wire at Home Depot, connectors at GC, and made a 2.5 ft. and 4.5 ft. cable.

I probably could have saved on the connectors if I'd bought mail order, but I needed them quickly. You can also save if you buy only 2-pole instead of 4-pole connectors (if you don't need 4-pole for, e.g., bridging).

19. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Do a Google search for "Event Horizon cables". You will find a ton of cable choices there.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It doesn't have to be round, but round wire coils up more easily and the Speakon plug's collet clamps down on it more securely.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021