1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decent small practice amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JetToughlove, Mar 1, 2013.

1. JetToughlove

JetToughlove

Aug 23, 2012
    Bought my nipper a SS Jaguar on the advices of the good people of TalkBass and it's a great little bass - thanks.

Need a little practice amp for his bedroom that does the Jaguar justice without removing plaster from the ceiling.

I will buy whatever the consensus is so over to you...

Thanks

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    How much are you looking to spend?

3. JetToughlove

JetToughlove

Aug 23, 2012
    less than £100?

4. JetToughlove

JetToughlove

Aug 23, 2012
    I've got a Peavey TKO115 the floor below so this is just for him to play with...

5. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    i've got a Fender Bassman 25 i bought used for $40, American. it might be the best sounding amp i've played through period. i've used it on gigs as my stage monitor when i go DI.

6. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    If you want it to sound good I'd go for an Ampeg BA112. It's only 50 watts but still sounds good. I wouldn't go lower wattage - to me those kind of practice amps sound weak, puny, and like a bass played thru a guitar amp. I've owned two of those - a Peavey and a Gorilla. They're just horrible and uninspiring to play thru.

Used they go for about $150

7. JetToughlove

JetToughlove

Aug 23, 2012
    Hmmm...this side of the pond the Bassman 25 best price is $225 and the Ba112 $300...keep going guys!

Thanks for quick responses so far.

8. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    I'm talking used price. New, the BA112 goes for the price you mention.

9. powerslave12r

powerslave12r

Jan 1, 2010
  10. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    How about a VOX amplug for bass. Very affordable, sounds great, requires headphones so you'll never hear it (i use $40 headphones), can accept MP3 player input so your child can jam along with their favorite music...

I'm liking this solution!

I use one myself as a travel solution - when in a hotel room or someone's home and need to practice.

11. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Maybe take him down to a music store or two and let him pick one out himself. Give him a price range and let him figure it out.

If he's just starting out, I wouldn't spend all that much. Something that's easy to carry and has a headphone jack. IF he's serious and sticks with it, then spend real money and get something a little more serious and then he'll have a little cheap amp that will come in handy.

Most of the time, I practice with a 10 watt guitar amp I got for free, even though I have a couple of gigging amps.

The company that has the best reputation for the inexpensive stuff is probably Peavey, but Fender and Acoustic are OK too. The smaller Ampeg stuff is alright too I guess.

I don't think you can mess this one up too bad. I'd let him decide though.