Decent stage monitor on a budget

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by fathom66, May 10, 2012.

1. Im looking into getting a stage monitor for my group...rather, for me to own personally. What would be the better buy in terms of just what I need. Most of the places we play are small bars....

Behringer EUROLIVE VP1220F 800W 12" Floor Monitor

or

Kustom KPC10M 10" Monitor Speaker Cabinet with Horn Pair

Dont know if 10" will cut it but we're just trying to put together a little PA

Any thoughts...remember Im not trying to spend alot....but looking for something at least decent for the price.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Both are pretty low rent, but I would pick the Kustom over the Behringer any day. Why don't you look around on CL for a used, decent wedge?

3. Skip the 10!

4. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    What do you plan on running through it, as far as your monitor mix goes?

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    NOT the Kustom. Those blow more than any monitor I've seen. The Behringer actually isn't bad, I've used those a bunch, they sound ok and are fairly hard to blow as long as you aren't being unrealistic about what you ask it to put out. If the red "clip" light comes on turn it down. The Peavey would also be good if you can swing it.

8. Some Kustom are refaced European designs --- depending on the gig and model sometimes they rock

9. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Link, everything that musicians friends has listed is a POS.

10. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Someone posted some pics of their new Kustoms, and I don’t know what model it was, but it indicated that they upped their game. Otherwise I’d have recommended the Behringer…

but the Peavey posted above sounds like the better deal imo.

11. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

We use a QSC K-10 for a floor monitor. I know you wanted cheap, and it isn't. But it is good.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    K10's. Wonderful but seriously... Not relevent here... I run K10's as tops and love 'em.

Maybe too expensive at $200 a throw but I dig the mackie c200 as a monitor. I've also run them as Pa tops as well. IMO there isn't anything that touchs them in the price range....

13. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    at my church i run three K8's as my monitors. they're absolutely gorgeous.

14. Better be for just vocals. If you go cheap, forget about not bringing a bass amp and going direct to pa and relying on the cheap monitor.

Randy

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The Behringer isn't bad at all. I have a B212 that sounds pretty good. Works fine with no issues. With any speaker cab, just don't ask it to do more that it's supposed to do! In fact, I found mine in a pawn shop for $60 and I'm trying to find another one to match. I also own 2 of those Kustom 10" monitors. They are not bad for the price (got them for $49 each). They are what they are though! I don't use these on pro gigs. Just my own personal backyard gear!

16. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    You could get a decent JBL MR-series wedge for $100-$150. That's nicer. You could stumble across some old Yamaha 15" tanks for $100 a pop, or some newer Peavey's for that price range even. You can really find a better monitor used than new. Check it out on CL for your area. Or call the area music stores asking if they have any decent used wedges. You can get better quality sound, the cabs maybe a bit heavier or beat up, but they will get louder and sound better than what you are looking at.

The real deals and finds aren't on the internet. They come from bands breaking up, wives and/or girlfriends forcing cats to give it up. These poor souls are the guys that have put more gear in my garage and basement for a much lower price than I could ever buy new. Thinning the herd and fattening the survivors.

And after all, it's a wedge...you're going to be standing on it half the time anyway.....

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Reviving an old thread. My BL just bought a powered Kustom monitor with 2 10's in it. It's only 100w but that thing sounded great. Was loud enough, had volume to spare and put out decent low end. $170. I checked the Kustom site and don't see any of the powered stuff on there. I'm guessing they are moving away slowly from the PA gear. I'll wait for a blowout and try to grab one for myself on the cheap.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021