1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decent, yet inexpensive acoustic guitars.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jsbass, Dec 22, 2006.

1. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Title explains itself. I don't know anything about the quality of acoustic guitars. I'm gonna be looking into one for writing music. Anyone know a good quality acoustic guitar that is for a decent price?

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Anything by Yamaha. They make a great classical guitar.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    http://www.seagullguitars.com/

I have one of their high-end (Artist Series) models, and it's fantastic. Their low end models are of equal quality, because all Seagulls are made in the same little factory in Quebec. They sound great, play great, and even their least expensive models have solid tops, something you won't find in Asian-made cheapies.

Graeme

4. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    I really like my encore, and cheap as chips

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Art and Luthiere cheapies are very nice (they're part of the Godin/Seagull company).

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Anything made by Lasido - Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, probably a few more, too.

7. EunosFD

EunosFD

Jun 7, 2006
    MD
    +1 For the money they're some of the best out there no doubt. I used to own a cutaway 12'er (cedar top/mahogany back & sides) and it was fantastic. Definite high bang for the buck factor.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't discount Ibanez or Mitchell (GC brand?) if you can play them first. I've come across a few VERY nice ones by both brands.

9. Those Seagull guitars look nice... I had never seen them before. A solid top is definitely a plus!

From my own experience, I think Ibanez makes a good solid guitar for the money.

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    +1 on Yamaha, I have a cheaper Yamaha acoustic and it's just dandy.

11. cort make very good lower range solid top acoustics too

12. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Another vote for Yamaha. I have two; a 6 and a 12. They were both in the $200-$300 range (the 12 was a tad more).

Not a flaw between the two.

13. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    +1, my first was a cheap yamaha acoustic and its a really good guitar.

14. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    I'm very happy with my Seagull 12 string, good quality for the price. I've played a few Seagull's and other brands by Godin and they are all very good. IMO

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I once had an Encore acoustic guitar, it was unusable within a year. The neck just twisted and it was unplayable.

I highly recommend the Art and Luthiere acoustic guitars.
    I bought one last Christmas and I absolutely love it!

Here´s mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I agree with HeavyDuty. Norman is the other Lasido brand.

17. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Okay, I'll join the crowd in recommending LaSiDo boxes. I believe they are the best value in low cost acoustics (I've seen them on the used market for a hundred bucks). I have a Seagull (with a solid cedar top - very mellow sound) that I bought for a 'beater' to take camping or to the beach.

I was quite surprised by the sound and playability of this 'cheapie' guitar. And the construction is first quality, good necks, good fretwork, good hardware.