1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decide a bass for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rylche, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Ibanez SR506

16 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Yamaha RBX JM-2

12 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Ibanez BTB406-QM

14 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. Fender Jazz Bass Special with a quite beat-up body

58 vote(s)
    58.0%
  1. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    I have recently sold my *only* bass, a very well-kept CIJ Fender Precision which I absolutely love. :bawl:

Now, I have a choice of several basses in the ever-growing 2nd hand market in my country.

Pls help me choose! I play in a Classic Rock band now, an Prog experimental band and a Pop rock band.

Cheers :)

2. If you really loved you P bass then that would definately be where I'd start.

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Err, why did you sell a bass that you are now upset about selling?

You'll get a kazillion different opinions on what to buy if you post a question like that on Talkbass. Just go an try 'em all and choose the one that sounds and feels right to you.

4. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    I couldn't play on the neck though. I had a wrist injury from soccer and I cant handle the Precision neck.

5. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Aah I see! Sorry to hear that. Fenders Jazzes from the 70's have nice slim necks. I'd seriously look at a MIJ Geddy Lee or Marcus Miller if I were you. Dammit! I've contradicted myself and recommended something:D

6. RBXJM2:hyper: :hyper:

7. CrazyWallaWalla

CrazyWallaWalla

Aug 16, 2006
    Toronto
    the true problem here is that you play soccer... you should have been playing bass... that never would have happened... now u have been smitten with a faulty wrist which has led you to sell your most prized possession. so in conclusion buy the jazz bass... as beaten up as it is... its still a must have in anyone's stable

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Get your Precision back, and order and aftermarket neck with a J bass profile (Fender A neck size).

Short of that, just get a J. The neck will feel like a broomstick compaired to your old P.

9. Rockthesnakepit

Rockthesnakepit

Dec 11, 2006
    Jazz Bass Special, nothing plays better

(from the unbiased view of a JBS player):D

10. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    Problem is, the body of the JBS really sucks imo.

Some pictures to show you guys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Paulhauser

Paulhauser

Aug 1, 2006
    Hungary
    I have voted the Sr506. I have owned the SR506, BTB and JM2 as well. The BTB was uncomfortable for me and weak sounding, the JM2 was too one-dimensional sounding (while being quite comfortable). The SR506 is a good, albeit nondescript sounding bass, and has some neck dive (which can be remedied by moving the bottom strap pin 2 inches , so would be in the line of the B string). Other than that, it was the most comfortable of all the three, and for me the best looking as well. Be sure to get a newer SR, that of the mahogany, because the older SR506's have a more chunky neck profile. (I had an other SR506, 10 y old) I'd also swap the electronics to an Aguilar OBP. Then you have a damn good bass for the money.

12. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    If you sold your P because of wrist problems, why are you looking at 6ers?

13. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    To be honest, I'm missing my P so much I think I'll buy it back. I know that gotta sound sucky but I really do love my P alot!

Off topic, how would one achieve a very gnarly, let still possessing of adequate mids using fingers on a P? Think of a P being played with a pick at the bridge, but cutting back on the highs a little.

14. Amaru

Amaru

Jun 16, 2007
    New Glarus, WI
    Why don't you buy your Precision back and replace the neck with a Jazz neck (specifically a Geddy Lee neck)?

Nevermind, I see someone else had that idea.

Or you could go with a Spector :p

15. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
  16. Get a P and put a J neck on it.
    FWIW: I absolutley love the neck on my SR800, which is a PJ. Its fantabulous. The bridge is lacjing... speaking of which, I think Im going to take it to get set up- I tried to adjust the intonation and got really po'ed after hours of stabbing myself with a screw driver. Yeah, Im a real Mr. Fix-It.

17. giving your styles... is an obvious answer... a JAZZ BASS

18. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    no question...
    JAZZ JAZZ JAZZ... especially if it's american.
    check out the JAGUAR basses now...they're amazing!

19. Phil230

Phil230

Jun 20, 2007
    Quebec City
    i guess the RBXJM2 or a bongo is for you, pretty versatile and for prog rock...if it works for myung..

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021