Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

decided against the 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 7, Aug 26, 2001.

1. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    ive been trying to decide wether or not to get a 5 string for my next bass and i decided to stay with a 4.
    the reason is i was looking at my cd's today and as i was looking through i was thinking what bands the bass player used a 5+ or a 4 and i noticed that the bassist that accutually influence me all use 4's, except for one who uses a 5 but he switches between songs, so i was thinking to myself why do i need a 5 if almost every bass player i like uses a 4 and does fine with it. so i think im gonna stick with the 4.....for now at least

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You shouldn't get a certain type of bass just because your influences did. Are you sure you don't need a 5? Will that low 'b' come in handy for you?

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree 100%. Alot of times what people use in the studio is totally different that what they would use in live situations.

That's like saying I want to buy a car but since all my friends have bicycles, I'll buy a bicycle!!! :(

4. If you don't see yourself using the 5th string then there's no need for one. 4 strings are general easier to play than 5s and there are a lot of great bass players out there who have stuck to the 4 string and have done a lot with it.

5. I play a 5 and it is harder to play than a 4 (especially for slap), but the B comes in handy.
    Plus when I go to a 4 now it feels easy and roomy, so it has actually helped my precision.

6. I think what he meant was the majority of the songs he'll be playing don't require the low B. If that's the case, stick with the 4. But above all, do what you want.

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i was a 4 string player for decades.

a couple of years ago, i went 5 string.

glad i did. the flexibility is great.

recently started working on some hendrix tunes...i bought the CRY OF LOVE songbook. dang if he didn't detune.

for example, EZY RYDER is notated in E, but the recording is in E flat.

sure is nice having that low B to grab that root without any hassle.

i was in a grocery store yesterday with my recent BASSPLAYER magazine tucked under my arm. the bag boy noticed it:

bagboy: "you play bass?"

me: "yes, do you?"

bagboy: "yes, for about a year now."

me: "ahh, GREAT. what kind of bass do you have?"

bagboy: "ibanez."

me: "4 string?"

bagboy: "yeah, i don't like the way 5 string basses sound."

i shot him a look that obviously made him uneasy...i didn't mean to. just that i was FLOORED by his comment.

give me a friggin' break...like he'd be able to tell the difference on a recording whether it was a 4 or a 5.

like many, he's a victim of the press when it comes to string count.

i'll bet he's read interviews with bass players from bands he likes that trash basses with any more than 4 strings.

i got the feeling he knew he was full of crap...now if he had said that he didn't like the way they feel...he would have had much more credibility.

moral:

my god people...quit lending so much credence to what other people do...find your own voice AND INSTRUMENT.

<sigh>

fred "i wanna be like JT and go 7" hodshon

8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Those are words of wisdom to live your life by and does not only apply to bass playing and music.