1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decided I’m buying a Stingray. Lots of options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J0hn, Dec 14, 2018.

1. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    48 mo no interest on them right now. I’d most likely never buy one otherwise and it’s one bass that I’ve always wanted in my collection so I’m going for it.

Used or new? There’s 2 basic stingrays available it looks like. One has a roasted maple neck and the other seems to be the same but with regular maple. Then there’s the special H, the special HH, the slo special and the old smoothie.

I know the differences between the models just looking for opinions. I play funk/r&b. I like wider necks (1 5/8+) but I also prefer a thin c type neck profile with low action.

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s opinions. Thanks!

Smooth_bass88 and Turbo Sparky like this.
  2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  3. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I have the Special HH. It’s the best instrument I have ever owned.

Turbo Sparky, Lfsbera, HD007 and 4 others like this.
  4. I'm pretty sure the slo model is a Stingray with a slim, Jazz width nut, so if you prefer wider necks, don't get that one.

Good luck and welcome to the Ernie Ball family.

Mike Guitar_3.JPG

J0hn, HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  5. NorseBear0903

NorseBear0903

Nov 26, 2018
    I have the HH 5 special. love it. That roasted maple neck is top notch

6. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    In the spirit of the 'doing my fellow man a favour', if you go to a store, DO NOT try a roasted special of any variety unless you have sufficient 'greeniage' in your pocket. The necks feel incredible, and as a package they are so vibrant and responsive they almost feel alive. If you pick one up you will not want to put it down...

LukeSlywalker, J0hn, HD007 and 6 others like this.
  7. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Yep they’re the absolute truth. Impossible to walk away from

J0hn, HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Okay, I’m not a Music Man guy but I played one of these today and...wow!
    Beautiful bass with a very nice roasted maple neck.
    One of the nicest colors out there right now.
    They call it Dropped Copper. At $1999.99 some might balk, but believe me, it was lighter than the older MM right next to it by maybe two pounds, it felt great and sounded better.
    If I had to have a Music Man, it’d be this one, no doubt about it. They really went the extra mile with these things, especially a few new colors that put Fender to shame.
    74-C214-FC-80-CC-4-C44-BD16-5-A5-C20-DB7749.

Badwater, Woofer, kwdhsk and 5 others like this.
  9. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    That’s the one i have. It’s definitely worth the money

Attached Files:

J0hn, HD007, jd56hawk and 1 other person like this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Buy the Special, come back to this thread, and thank us all later after you tell us how right we all were.:smug:

Yes they are worth every single penny. Best bass I’ve ever played / owned.
    IMHO no other Stingray should have been named Special until these came along. The SLO was a bit different with the neck shape but it was not as “special “ as these.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  11. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Are you sure that you aren’t a MusicMan Guy. It is ok. You can be a G&L, Reverend , & MusicMan Guy. :D

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I wanted to put this one on layaway, but something's not quite right about it.
    1195-F5-BC-3-C5-B-465-C-8521-3-A1-CFFE1-B7-A2.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    lowdownthump likes this.
  13. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Well it’s not the dropped copper Special, for starters! ;)

lowdownthump and StrangerDanger like this.
  14. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    When I played Music Man basses, I bought a 30 Anniversary Stingray 5. By far it was the best Stingray that I ever owned and played.

I also had a Stingray Classic that sat in the mix very well. The only thing 2 things I hate about the Stingray Classics is the gloss neck and the volume output. Even though the Stingray Classic is an active bass, the output is a lot more close to a passive bass. In fact, my K B Guitars custom shop P bass probably has a louder volume output with the Nordstrand Audio NP4a passive pickup in it than the Stingray Classic does.

I haven’t played the new Stingray basses. But, if you like Stingrays and have always wanted one, check them out and see how you like the new changes. Compare them to the 2017 and older ones or used ones. The new Music Man basses are now $2k or more. But the used ones are typically $1k to maybe $1,400.00 at the most. Some are even under $1k.

Look at all the options. If you feel the new Stingrays are worth the extra $1k plus, then go that route. If you want to save at least $1k or more and don’t mind the previous generation of Stingray or one that is used and in great shape, then consider that option as well.

Most Stingrays are well built. Generally there qc is good so unless a previous owner has simply trashed his bass, any Stingray that you choose to buy should last you a long time.

wmmj, lowdownthump and J0hn like this.
  15. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I need the roasted maple. It’s so sexy. I think I’m going to go with the special H unless I can be convinced to go for the double humbuckers, but I just don’t see the style of music I play to call for that. A hot pickup near the bridge suits my style perfectly.

Also love that contour on the back of the neck where it meets the body on the 2018s so I might just go brand new. Lots of good color options too- I’m thinking the root beer or green. I like solid colors with maple necks.

lowdownthump and oren like this.
  16. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Dont let the pickup position fool you, the single H is seriously versatile with that 3 way switch!

17. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Right on. I love the different tones with the highs full throttle and then rolled off, etc.

Back to the new vs. used topic, as someone above said, I'm spending about 2 grand new or 1 grand used. Can't find any with roasted maple necks used though. They all look to be around 10-15 years old which is interesting.

Have to decide if that roasted maple is worth an extra thousand bucks. Of course there's the thrill of getting a brand new instrument, and also a lot of these used options seem to not include their case which sucks. That's another $200 I'd have to invest.

18. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    There’s a lot more to it than the roasted maple. The improvements are subtle to the eye but make a huge difference in the sound and especially the feel of the instrument

Pet Sounds and lowdownthump like this.
  19. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The HH was my choice because it’s just like the H but with an extra H. Why not have more?

lowdownthump likes this.
  20. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    If you pick one up off the rack and it doesn’t feel quite right, ask to run the truss wheel. Seriously, I’ve never come across a more ingenious design and the response is quick. It makes an amazing difference in playability on an already incredibly playable bass.