Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decided on a 6-string Fretless (and some thank-you's)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've been gassing for a six or seven-string fretless for several months now, and I've been scouring the new and used market for them. It seems that just about every quality option, whether built by a company or custom-built by a luthier, fell in at about the same price range ($2500-$3000 including options), which left a lot of options open.

After really going over all of my choices repeatedly, I decided to work with a local luthier named Jon Hill, who makes some very nice basses. I talked with him on several occasions, and played one of his four-strings (the nicest four-string I've ever played), and everything seemed to point to him. I'll be dropping off my deposit once I get back from Boston in two weeks, and hopefully the bass will be completed in 4-5 months.

Early specs on the bass are:
    HN6 Signature model 6-string lined fretless
    34" scale
    Mahogany body
    Neck-through made of padauk, purpleheart, and wenge
    Ebony fingerboard with clear polyester coating
    Some form of burl top (haven't decided)
    Bartolini pickups and preamp

I wanted to say some thank you's to TB's own Gard, Peter Parker, and John Turner, who kindly provided me with lots of information, and a big thank you to luthier Darrin Huff, who did me a HUGE favor, and who also happens to be a great guy who definitely knows his basses. I'll post pics of the bass once it's in production.

Here's a pic of one of his basses:
    [​IMG]
    and a link to his site http://www.hillinstruments.com

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sweet!! Congrats Bryan!! Decided against a GT-7 I guess.. ;)

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That bass looks awesome Bryan to many strings for me though:eek::D:. I'm glad that everything worked out for everyone (whew!!). Especially you and I;) .

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah; it was up there on the list for a while, but I figured I'd go all out and get a bass with all the options I wanted. Thanks for all your help though!

5. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Awesome looking bass. Good luck with it.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D
    That's not the one I'm getting, but it is pretty awesome, huh? Thanks anyway.

7. Very nice! Congrats, Bryan.