Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decided on a Cirrus 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 29, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well after much sleeping on it, debate, and collecting my thoughts in the john, I think I've decided to go with a Peavey Cirrus 4..Redwood/Alder I think I might be leaning towards, but I'm getting snagged on the Bubinga/Walnut..hmm..

I thought about it and after my last post about the "grail bass" Alot of you guys had a point..there is no such thing. I was afraid of spending $2000+ and just getting another bass that in time I might not like things about. That and, I'm not playing out so as one guy put it, I really CAN'T justify it. But for the past few months I've had my eye on Cirrus. I've read nothing but glowing reviews from people on here, and I'll be honest, I've only played one Peavey bass. I don't remember what model..I want to say it was a Grind, but all I know is, it was black, a 5'er and about $300. But it was incredible. It was the most comfortable 5 I've ever played, and I'm mainly a 4 guy right now. But the action was GREAT. I was surprised considering the price of the bass. Anyway, after the reviews, the pics, and some sound clips (wow) I've decided to go for it. There is a Peavey dealer like a half hour from me. Unfortunately none are in the store, but on Peavy's website where you can order a bass from their dealers, they are available.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched. Can't wait to join the Cirrus club :D

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Why not get a 6? theres one for sale in are forum for a nice priace..i think theres also a 4 or 5 can't remember i think a 4..and its beautiful///check them out....

nice choice the one i played was great

steve

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If i were to get a cirrus i would get a 5 becaue i have wanted a 5 for a while, plus i think there are many more great 4 string basses then 5 strings, because i find thast a lot of 5's have floppy or dull B strings.

4. I think you'll be very happy with your Cirrus. That website's a scam :) You pick any Cirrus and pick any store and it will usually show as available.

The one you're thinking of sounds really nice. Mmmm... bubinga... walnut... Yeah, I can hear it now :)

I've got an alder/maple Cirrus 5 and it's simply a sweetheart. That B string is wondrous - no flop at all, and the notes are clean and articulate (if I want 'em to be).

Good luck on your new bass and enjoy!

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Just bid on a Redwood/Alder 5 on Ebay. I'm a 4 string mainly, but I've wanted a 5. The only hard part is while playing the 5, I'll want the 4 string for a while until I get used to it *lol*

I just hope its ok for slapping.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2553175822&category=4713 this one? Dont worry, no one here will outbid u unles they are very very rude./ lol.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that you will find it great for slapping. It will take a little time to get used to the extra string, but it should be no problem with a little practice.

FWIW, I can slap better on my Cirrus 6 than on any of my 4 stringers.

8. I suggest playing one first. You may not like it.

Good luck.

9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Copy that. The Cirrus is a slap machine. It feels so efforless to slap on the bass... it's like a dream. Welcome to the club! :D

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    :mad: Ok, I bid on the bass this morning when I left the house..met the reserve at $700. I must have been really half asleep because I THOUGHT my max was $900..nope, I only bid $800 and I was outbid by $10 :(

Oh well :) Anyone else have a 'duh' Ebay moment? Musicians Friend has these for the usual price. They don't offer the Bubinga though..that stinks. Good thing I want the Redwood for this one though.

11. optikill

optikill

Aug 1, 2003
    Dude,

You gotta get the cirrus. I got my Tiger Eye 5 string today and my my. It's just awesome. I absolutely love it! It's such a great purchase! This just gives me another reason to show it off!!!! :D

[​IMG]

12. Remember, it's 35" scale. Could take a while to get used to that. If I was getting a 4 Cirrus wouldn't be my first choice (why deal with 35" scale when you don't need it) but as a 5 or 6 it's a good choice.

13. Congrats Cirrus is the $H!T
    But dude dont buy it before you try one
    The different wood combinations alone might change your mind from one to the next
    Or you might decide its not what your looking for (probaly not)
    But they are sweet for slaping
    My Cirrus 5 is way easier to slap then my jazz bass
    Welcome to the club:cool:

14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well unfortunately, the stores around here don't stock Cirrus. So trying without buying is my only option. I've played the lower end Peavey's and the feel was great. As far as the 35" scale, I'm all for that. I tend to always get more "floppiness" and buzz on my E strings so I figure the extra scale inch will help that out. Not that the E is "floppy" but just that it doesn't feel as solid to me as the other strings IMO.

Tonewise, I heard a sample of the Walnut/Bubinga combination. Very nice, but the Redwood (which is what I'm after) is described as a smoother more vintage tone.

15. sounds like you need to get your bass setup properly. 35" scale isn't necessary for a four string, and not for a 5 or 6 for that matter.

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Maybe I worded that wrong. I mean that I would like a bit tighter feel, especially when using drop D.