Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decided on rig, want to talk me out of it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigjoe, Apr 2, 2005.

1. bigjoe

bigjoe

Feb 26, 2005
    I have decided on purchasing a Harkte 500watt mono head with an xl 4x10 and a 15. As well as this I'm getting a Gt-6b. Any comments, discouragements? Keep in mind, this is all that's availableto me at the moment really, considering my locations (Australia) and finances (I work at priceline). Thanks guys.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I wouldn't do that in a million years. It's porbably going to cost you at least $1000 for something like that and you can just borrow amps from people when you have a gig. Simply show up at the gig and ask the band before or after you if you could use their amp. Why should you buy one and waste all that money. It's silly. You could put the money in the bank and save it for a rainy day, pay rent, buy someone you fancy a nice gift. You could even buy a bongo for around the same amount of money. You have to be insane to do it. Don't do it.

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Haha. Hey that sounds like it will be a killer rig man, I hope you're happy with it.

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

You are kidding, right? :eyebrow: You are telling the guy to depend on borrowing gear? :confused: As a policy , I WILL NOT loan gear to anyone except close friends, and I know a lot of other players who are the same way.

5. I have a new Hartke HA5500 and I like it. I'm new to all this, but for me it has nice tone and a ton of headroom. Great bang for the buck if you ask me.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd go with Avatars, but that's just my personal preference... and financial preference :p

other than that, you'll have plenty of power for most any occaision. Pull the trigger if your very sure.

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Consider the ha5000--you can bi-amp, still get the full 500 watts (if each cab is 4 ohm) and have greater tonal flexibility. should be a bone-crusher in either case!

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think it'd be a good rig. Tell those other guys to shut up.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm just tryin to give joe what he asked for. :)

10. Why would I do that? I'm not a Hartke fan, but if it fits your needs and budget...go with it.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

It doesn't seem bad to me, but I don't know what kinda music you play.

The Hartke is a good work horse of an amp as long as you like how it sounds (I've had several of them). Unfortunately, since you're in Australia, no Avatar cabs for you. I'm not fond of the Hartke cabs, but that's more of a preference issue...and the XL series are the better of their lines.

12. bigjoe

bigjoe

Feb 26, 2005
    Thanks so much guys. Basically, its the best I can do at the moment and just needed to know if it was an absolutely terrible choice or an acceptable one. So now I know its at least ok, thanks once again!

13. No not at all. An absolutely terrible choice would have been a Behringer 300 with a SteelSound 2x15. :D

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

You would not be laughed out of a club for showing up with this rig.

In many places this would be a pretty typical backline for a club to keep on hand.