1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decided to file the nut and.....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cuzzie, Jan 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    so I decided to put some DR DDT's extra heavy on my G&L ASAT as I down tune a bit and wanted to try BEAD and the 4th string slot was a little tight so I tried to file it and whoops.....
    IMG_3056.JPG

Question is will strong glue do the trick or is it definitely a new nut...

Feel like it is a schoolboy error

Cheers

2. Glue may get you through a gig but won't last long term. If I had another bass I wouldn't even try it on a gig.

Don't feel too bad. I once had to cut out 3 nut blanks for a 5 string I was building / setting up because my file kept getting caught and breaking the "B" string slot.

3. SV777

SV777

Jun 29, 2014
    New York
    Can't tell from the picture but you may have filed that slot just a touch too deep:cool:

Crazy glue it as a temp and it just may hold a long while. For peace of mind Id put a new nut on asap.

4. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Cheers guys

Done a gorilla glue just now and we'll see, but I reckon a new one is on the cards.

I figured I never play the top string much anyway!

And this is why we need more than 1 bass.....

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I think some cyanoacrolate (crazy glue) should handle that just fine. I don't think the string tension is going to put stress on the glue joint (which will quite possibly be stronger than the plastic anyway). But replacement nuts are cheap and easy security too.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    ooh too bad, I don't think that will hold. maybe though, let us know!

7. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Will do, it was all I had in the house and it's late here in the U.K. I'll sleep on it and see, but thought it would be a shot to nothing.

Never seen a guitar tech before so a chance to make a new buddy!

8. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Well, took it to a Luthier and he praised my repair job, filed the nut a bit, slotted the string and played a bit and no issues.

I'm no worse off and it may work.

He said he actually uses Gorilla Gkue and it's pretty good. I used the long setting string stuff I was repairing house stuff with and left it at least 18hrs.

Fingers crossed

9. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    In general Gorilla glue is horrible stuff to work with and next to impossible remove when it stops working (and it always stops working). You may have found an exception with your nut but I would not trust a repair person who used it.

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Did you actually use Gorilla polyurethane glue, or Gorilla brand super glue?

11. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike

Dec 28, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I see this a lot and my experience is that when people complain like this, they've generally applied it wrong. They either didn't wet the surfaces to be bonded, or didn't understand that they should still clamp the pieces.
    While I may not trust it in place of wood glue for pieces under tension, I've found it to be good enough for things like attaching fretboards to necks.

12. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Why use something that is good enough when there are better products that are easier to use?

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike

Dec 28, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Guess that really depends on the application. Good enough isn't a negative thing either. It's not a horse race, its about the right tool for the job.
    And if you've ever had to get a fretboard off a neck, you'd appreciate something that isn't 100% permanent like actual wood glue.

14. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Well, hot hide glue is pretty hard to beat if you are looking for a permanent bond that can also be easily removed. But I haven't really had much issue with steaming an aliphatic resin glue joint loose either.

202dy likes this.
  15. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Basically it's was all I had in the house and it was not the super glue so I guess the polyurethane.
    I dampened the surface (licked it!) put just a smidgen and then pressed like buggery for about 5 mins, Half way through went to change hands and the piece came off, so plopped it back and squeezed for longer and wiped the excess off gently.

Left overnight for about 16 hours before seeing the Luthier. He had a look, did some filing properly and inserted the string, and it's still Ok, did some more practice.

I think it may fail, it may be ok, but I have lost nothing and non has spilled on the guitar.

I will prob replace the nut when I get it in for a set up

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I had a bass with this and I built up the entire corner using superglue and baking soda, shaped it, re-filed the slot and never had a problem after.

SilGarzaJr and Cuzzie like this.
  17. When it comes to gluing I'd wager 85% or more of the success is in the clamping and proper curing times...

Cuzzie likes this.
  18. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I trust is it frequently doesn't form a good bond.

My problems with Gorilla Glue are 1) It is an expanding glue and thus tends to push things apart. 2) It is difficult to clean up. 3) Finishes don't tend to stick to it. 4) Its even harder than epoxy or CA to remove if something goes wrong. and 5) my experience and the experience of

19. SilGarzaJr

SilGarzaJr SilGarzaJr

Mar 28, 2012
    North Texas
    I've used corian or cultured Marble shavings in place of baking soda, then reshaped slot. No issues yet.

20. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    All input greatly appreciated from you guys, has definitely given insight to potential problems whilst dealing with a problem but also tip and tricks