Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decided to get a rack, not a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Z_Bass, May 20, 2003.

1. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    I was thinking of getting a Combo amp, and have been posting a couple threads on which ones I should consider purchasing. So a couples days later I went to the shop to try some of them out, and you guys were right... I'd be better off with a rack.
    So now I'm looking into racks but they are obviously much more pricey than a combo, and currently I'm at a shortage of cash. At any rate, here's the criteria:

#1. Good value, I can't afford to spend too much. I don't care if its a flawless head/cab because I'm not gonna spend a million bucks on one. (maybe around 1000 bucks max total) It also needs to be a company that has decent quality control, since I will probably be purchasing online.
    #2. Relatively lightweight. I need to move it around alot for small gigs, which was why I considered a combo at first, so there'd be no point buying one the size and weight of a refrigerator.
    #3. Around 300 Watts, give or take 50. This is for more intimate indoor gigs. I definitely do not need any more; it could even be 200 watts and i'd get by. I'm not too particular on how many of what size speakers are in it as long as it isn't too big for its wattage.
    #4. Punchy, fast sound; I don't need warmth or tube-ish sound. (I heard GKs are really fast). Also has to be relatively clean, less growl.

Maybe I'm being really really picky here, but this is how I want it. I'm not asking for something that meets the expections to everything I just listed, but I'd like your suggestions/opinions. If you think this is just not possible, please tell me anyway. Thanks. :D

2. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    By the way, I'm willing to be more flexible with criteria #1, since I'm not gonna have many choices within that price range.

3. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Well , here I am (once again) putting a vote on Warwick Amps :D

when I bought my quad IV + 410 pro I also tried some combos ans other cabs/heads.

For the kind of money you want to spend I'd recommend you to try a Pro Fet II (solid state amp, 250W)+ 410 Pro (300 W).

This amp has a lot of punch (IMO) and the cab is fine for that kind of use. able to answer both in the lower freqs as well as in the high ones.

If you want a bit more powah you can go with the Pro Fet IV...

but this is only my opinion :cool:

Rock on! :bassist:

4. Dman

Dman

Jan 25, 2002
    NJ
    $1000 should be able to get you a nice rig. I use an Ampeg B2R head ($549) from musicansfriend. 350 watts @4oms. the GK heads are nice too. i like the 700RB myself.You could also check out the Hartke Stuff, some people like them, I cant stand the way they sound.the Workingmans stuff is ok too i just dont like there cabs that much. hope this helps you out

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    get a quality head and a good 2x10 used.

mine

sm400s-400
    epifani 2x10- 500

6. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Sounds like you're in a similar situation as me.

Avatar is a good start for a cab. Lots of rave reviews here on TB, and great bang for your buck. I just bought a B410 from the site, 400 bucks with shipping and casters.I'm looking at most likely getting an Ampeg B2R head. About 400 on average on ebay. I was also looking at possibly getting a SVT-3 Pro, a SWR Workingman's 4004, or a Gallien-Kruger 700RB.

7. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    What's the web URL to Avatar's homepage. I've been interested in Avatar stuff for quite a while but didn't know where to check them out.

8. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Avatar: www.avatarspeakers.com. Good luck!!

incognito89x... give us all the details of the Avatar 4x10 when you get an amp to drive it!! Any initial impressions?

Also... are you bringing it to stores when you try out amps? Is it recommended to buy cab first, then amp for that reason?

9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    GK700RB and an Avatar cab.

10. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Will do. I should have an amp fo rit in a few weeks or so. Just need to ge the cash.

I thought about bringing it to guitar center to get a good feel for what amp would be good for it. Though pretty much anything would sound better than the 100 watt combo I had :p

It's just a matter of lugging the 85 pound amp to the store along with my bass.

But bringing the sab along to test it is for sure the best way to make sure the head and cab produce the sound you want.

11. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    carvin R600 or R1000, id say the 1000 and avatar 2x12 or 2 2x10s

12. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    OMG, I just can't believe the prices on these Avatars! :eek: I've also heard good things about these cabs. Looks like a good deal here!

Edit: P.S. By the way, Does GK have bad quality control? I'm hearing two different opinions. One side says they produce quite a number of lemons from time to time, others say GKs are very very reliable.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Your rig shall be an Eden WT-400 (used) at $450 and an Eden D-410XLT (used) at $550.

Next? Step up, please.

14. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Not punchy and quick like the GK! The Euphonic Audio iAmp350 should also be considered. Great amp!

15. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Any opinions on GK quality control/reliability? I'm considering either a GK or Avatar, and if GKs seem to be reliable enough I'll go with them.

16. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    If you're referring to GK speakers they have never been known for building good speaker cabs. The GK amp with Avatar speaker combination will serve you well. Wait a couple of weeks for the new GK's to come out with more power.

BTW, the best prices on GK is at Chuck Levins's Washington Music. (301)946-8808.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GK ... pffft!

18. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003

19. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Interesting. This could be a new thread, but it's still somewhat related, so I'll post it here...

What is the general consensus of Avatar vs. Eden (regardless of price)? If you did an A/B (for simplicity, let's say the avatar B410 and eden d-410xlt), which would provide the best sound, and why?

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Z-Bass:

Well, my gut reaction to your question is Mesa Boogie Walkabout (300w), which could pick up used for $600 or less, and a (probably used) 1x12 in your flavor of choice. Bergies or Epi's should both fit your punchy, fast, sound requirement. EA's CxL112 might be great for you as well, but they tend to go fairly high, even used. Accugroove would rule, if you could find a used Tri 110 or Tri 112 in your price range.

While the Walkabout does to a great tubey, grindy, warmer sound, it also does the cleaner "hi-fi" thing pretty well. It amazes me the variety of sounds that you get out of that head by varying the Gain versus Master settings (which relates to how hard you are driving the tube pre).

Of course, the true "rack" approach would be to grab a separate preamp an amp. I have an Eden Navigator and a PLX 3002, which are great together, but would blow your budget. My first preamp was a BBE 383, and while it doesn't hold a candle to the Eden, it is a great unit for the money. You can pick them up used for a song. It has a variable crossover (nice), compressor (not so nice, I never used it), BBE process (VERY nice, especially for thie preamp), balanced DI out, and a pretty good EQ section. That, with a smaller PLX series amp would be nice.

But, as others have mentioned, both SWR and Hartke heads may have the sonic characteristics that you are apparently going after (they're not my cup of tea, but that's a different matter...). Also, a cab from a less well known manufacturer, like Avatar, might help out your pocketbook as well. With all that in mind, I would also suggest that you contact the guys up at Low Down Sound (www.lowdownsound.com) near Detroit, MI. I don't know if that is anywhere near your neck of the woods, but they are a bass only store that carries a wide variety of amps and cabs, including SWR, Hartke, Ampeg, Eden, Ashdown, Acoustic Image, Bergantino, Epifani, Bag End, Accugroove, etc. Plus, they make their own custom cabs which are on a similar price/performance mark as Avatar. So, you might get some good suggestions or options out of them.

Hope this helps, Tom.