Decided to sell my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Dec 21, 2000.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Last night I took my Ibanez that has served me a year
    to local music store to be sold. I liked it's playability
    and feel and the fact if was build like a tank(7 years, 3 owners, and not even a scratch in paint) but tone with passive electronics just diden't sound good for me. If and when I get it sold, I'm prolly going for Yamaha RBX765a - I just wanted some wellbuild active fiver and german netstore has a killer deal for it, it goes around 400 bucks(850 DM).

I think I have to wait till janyary tho, it's unlikely they would get it sold 2 days before xmas.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What are we going to do with you? Selling your first bass! Shame on you! You should at least owe it to the bass to keep it. I mean, you learned, cried, and bled together, shouldn't you do it the honor of keeping it!? I know that in my band, town, and general area, you KEEP your first. Even if it crap, you keep it outta respect. I know I'm never gonna junk my Ibanez GSR200. It's like some sort of unwritten clause that comes with the bass! Bad Tsal! No Biscut!
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, you're right. I'll regret this move in couple years.
    But since I'm a student, I really don't have too much cash to spare and so, she has to go. I'm not happy about it, tho.

4. It's better not selling your first bass, you could always use it or upgrading in the future (different tuning, etc.).

Here my first bass story:
    A terrible and cheap Gibson Grabber body in two parts bonded in an home way by the owner and a "S" profile as a mountain road '69 Fender Precision neck.
    Awful sound for a kid looking for a Miller kind ...
    So I swapped the body with a J shape Ibanez body.
    Then I sold it.

In 1997 after more than 10 years I wanted back.
    One month of efforts and luck after I found it and buy at a good price [it wasn't an expensive vintage bass at all of course].
    With my luthier help I choose a single marvellous light piece of alder for a new P style body. A little of Dakota red paint, a Seymour Duncan vintage P pick-up and a '71 original Fender bridge as a present from a friend of mine: o.k.
    The neck now is fretless with maple lines and cutted as slim as the slimmest Jazz neck [not a choice, I was obliged and I like it!]
    The sound sure should be good also for mr. James Jamerson!
    :) :) :)
  5. dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    I wasn't happy about it, but I'm a lefty ( and play left-handed) and I'm really really picky, the wife wouldn't allow me to just spend another bundle o'bucks and keep the first one. It was a P-bass copy all black with black hardware and strings.....really solid thing.....still want it back.....but had to part with it to get my current bass.....Fender Squier P-bass Special Left Handed with Brown Sun-Burst colors......thin neck, chrome hardware, even for a "cheap" Fender I love it almost as much as the Black Beauty.
  6. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Now I won't go as far as saying I've never regretted selling an instrument, but I think the sentimental value of a first anything sometimes gets a bit overblown. My first bass was a 73 Musicmaster that I bought for $50 in 1976. I had just joined a working band as a bassist after having played guitar exclusively. Once I made the commitment to fulltime bass player, I sold the Fender and bought a Ric 4001. Do I wish I still had the Musicmaster? Not really. I mean, what would I do with it? Even back then, I could have afforded to keep it, but I didn't see a good reason to. My advice; sell it and don't look back. I would, however, make sure you've got some good pictures of you playing your Ibanez. Good luck w/the Yamaha; I really like my TRB5.
  7. noweapon

Feb 10, 2000

Sorry you have to sell it man. :( My first bass was a 92' fender Mex/Jazz. I will never sell it. Ever. I will either give it to some student of mine in the far future when I'm to old and feeble to play or pass it on to my kids, who hopefully will all be players of some sort. All I know is, when I suck in my last breath, I'll know where that bass is, and who's jammin' with it....Unless some future hell-dweller steals it from me before my times up. I dont have the same feelings for my gear though...except maybe my new rig, which I think will be with me for quite awhile..
  8. zhaduum

Dec 21, 2000
    I still have my first bass, an '80s Fender Squire II, my dad bought it for me on my 13th birthday and i've had it since, i can understand the sentimental part of trying to get rid of it, even though i've bought another just this year and starting playing again, i can't seem to get rid of it. I did like someone earlier suggested and use it to play a D in while my new one is tuned to E. I picked it up last Sunday to jam some Rage with the band, and the singer of my band says " dude , that sounded like crap " i had to agree, the Fender has seen better days, but i think i'll keep it for awhile longer, and gaze upon it to remember the "good old days"
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wish I still had my first bass.

It was a Memphis P Bass copy, back when they were still good copies.

It looked just like Jamerson's funk machine. Sunburst, tortoise pickguard and ashtrays. Strung with flatwounds. Weighed about 80 lbs.

I was only 14.

Dad had to sell it, my silverface Bassman 10 amp, my drums and my sister's organ to buy food and pay rent. He lost his job a month before Christmas that year. Not much of a Christmas, it was all we could do to survive until he found another job about 3 months later.

I saw a 70's Memphis just like it at a Guitar Center, the ashtrays were missing, but I'd swear it was the same bass.

Wish I would have had the $200 that they wanted for it.:(
  10. You sold your first bass.....the agony.......
    Is there not a plasma donation center in your town, I understand you needed cash, but for the love of (insert diety here) what were you thinking?
  11. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Wish I had my first bass back. Not because it was better than any other bass I have had but because it was my first one.

I guarantee you are going to regret selling it.
  12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    It's been nearly 20 years since I sold my first bass. It was one of those EKO violin-style things. I have NEVER missed it. I always viewed it as a stepping stone to something better. I am not overly sentimental about such things. Keep my kids' baby shoes? Of course. Pawn my wedding ring? Never. Keep an old crummy EKO bass? Why?

I had to get rid of a dog once because he was too destructive. :( I miss him a lot more than I'll ever miss my first bass.