Deciding between the Skyline Darryl Jones, Skyline Joe Osborn, KSD V70J5 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Somewhere down the road, I'm going to be getting a relatively inexpensive jazz copy. So far I've come up with those basses.

But I've also been thinking of spending a bit more to get a bit more bass. Like a used Metro or used Lull. Is the difference going to be that much?

Money is a bit of an issue and I have a few basses already (Fender American Jazz Deluxe V, Skyline 55-02, G&L L2500)
    but as you all know, more is better! So I'd be willing to save.

I do know that Skylines are simply amazing for the price, and that the fit and finish is great for the price, so I lean towards the Skylines. But the KSD sounds great, too, and judging from previous topics about it, would give me exactly what I want.

2. I don't think the KDS is in the same league as the Skyline series. I've only played one.... similar to that Fender Marcus Miller bass in that it's a pretty good piece of wood, but the electronics are questionable (IMO).

The Lakland Skyline DJ model is one of the best Jazz Style instruments I'v ever played. The fit and finish of the one I played at LDS in Detroit was amazing.... I loved the small body style (similar to the Sadowsky basses), and it had the best passive growl of anything I've ever played (and I'm a 100% active bass guy). The Joe Osborne is nice also, but that DJ is awesome. The only downside to me is that the neck profile (at least for the 5 string) was a little chunky at the nut, and it was relatively heavy (I think most put it at slightly under 10 pounds).

But... for the money.... whooo! that's an instrument!
  3. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Any other comments?
  4. go w/ the DJ, thats on my hitlist

DJ will have a growlier tone then the osborn due to bridge pickup placement.

DJ follows the 70's style placment. DJ, hands down IMO.

KSD, not good quality. IMO of couse.
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Your Fender and G&L are nice basses already, if I were you I'd spring the extra few bucks for a used Metro (there have been quite a few on the classifieds here). I've got an RV5 and I think its great (see my review on the Gear Reviews page).
  6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I was looking for the best (for me) 5-string Jazz-type bass I could find. I ended up with the Lakland DJ5. Mine weighs about 9.5 lbs., and has the best playing neck (for me) of any bass I've ever played. The tone is simply outstanding -- the Aeros have a terrific sound -- all kinds of growl, and big booty as well. I wasn't sure at first about the smaller vintage frets, but I absolutely love them now. Construction is top notch. Body shape is comfortable.

I'm 100% satisfied. YMMV.
  7. In my opinion the Lakland are much better basses and I'm used to have 21 frets so without a doubt the Darryl Jones....
  8. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you want a 60's Sound go for a Joe Osborne, if you want a more modern or 70's sound, get the DJ. I think that Lakland products are incredible and especially if you have experience with them. I have a 55-02 Dlx, a JO5 on the way, and I'm planning a year or so to get a DJ5. You cant' go wrong with Dan's camp.

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you're hell bent on an active preamp, then the KSD is a decent option since the others don't have one. On the other hand, the fit and finish of the Skylines are amazing for the price. The fretwork and pickups are exceptional. Add a J-Retro to either you have doubled the number of usable tones.

If you want a smaller body, fancy block inlays, binding Aero pickups (sound phenomenal) and a more curved fingerboard (7.25" radius) - A Darryl Jones is for you

Other wise if you want a more vintage tone, the Fralins on a JO get plenty of that. And the flatter (10" radius) fingerboard is more comfortable to me.

If a choice of finish is important to you, then keep in mind the limitations of each:
    KSD - Natural
    JO - Natural, Sunburst or Black
    DJ - White, Black Sparkle, or Lake Placid Blue
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I played a KSD for the first time today at BassNW. I was amazed at how much I WASN'T impressed. The knobs are loose and feel chinzy. The neck doesn't feel especially nice to the touch. The tone was lame/tame.

I'd go with a Lakland product, which we all seem to consider better...on the whole.
  11. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I'm sure I've seen Osborns in LP Blue, did they cut back on the colours available in the Skyline range?
  12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Yeah, they cut down on the color options for all the Skylines. I have a JO Skyline in LPB, but they don't make em in that color anymore.
  13. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If we're talking about 5 strings, then the DJ5 and the JO5 have much more similar necks, is that right? I've never played them side by side, so I can't recall.
  14. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Yup, very similar. I think the only diff the size of the neck pocket and blocks/binding.
  15. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Looks like the DJ is what I want. I'm disappointed by the reactions of the KSD. I did hear from Ken Smith over at the Dude Pit that they have significantly improved the construction of KSDs recently.

I still need to play all of them to make my decision. Luckily Bass Central is less than 2 hours from me, so when I make the decision, I'll make a trip.... and probably walk away with a $3,000 bass :help:
  16. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Yep. THIS is the very last LPB Skyline JO (also seen in my avatar).

17. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Lorenzini. I hit you up on your Fender Dlxe, but was looking for a 4. Well, that changed when I found a Skyline Joe 5 on the 'bay. It was only up for a couple hours before I had to have it. It came in yesterday morning at work. I've logged more hours on that bass so far than I have sleeping and eating since I got it. Wow! My first full-on jazz. Love the old-school vibe, wide string spacing, and overall attention to detail. The string spacing is like a 4-string.

So, check it out. I'm so taken by it without even hearing the electronics (since it arrived at work - sounded great unamped), that I call Bass Central (the one in O-town you're prolly going to) and inquire about a used Skyline 55-01; Natural w/maple board. It's been sold, but they have a used/like new, 55-02 Deluxe Natural w/Rosewood board (which I prefer) for a great price. I just happen to have the money (DB deal fell through - another story). I was going down there next weekend, but don't want to take a chance on it being gone. I can't say no! It's should be here Tuesday! So, I'm almost broke until payday, but this is what the money's for anyway :D