Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

deciding on a 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willo_bass17, Jan 23, 2006.

1. hey,

im looking for a 5 string but i dont know much about them so i need some help on that side of things. i dont want an ugly guitar either so can i get some ideas on what people think is good quality. i dont want to go much over $1000 so yeah...

thanks, willo

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I recommennd either Music Man or G&L.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I second that! ;)

r

4. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    I would personally go with a Music Man. I just really like the feel. However, as always, try to play everything in your range and get a personal feel, not what we say.

5. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    If you want to stay around 1K, then you will need to go used on the StingRay 5, but they are fantastic...all around great construction (top notch), built solidly, a great versatile tone, etc.

I will say you should try it first. StingRay 5s have narrow string spacing, which you may prefer, but I don't find it always as comfortable to play as basses with slightly wider spacing, especially for slap.

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    The Bass Company.

nuff said.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    This is an excellent choice on a budget. However this guy has $1,000 or so to play with. Given this, I say bump it up to a domestic MM or G&L. If he had only half the money at his disposal, then I totally agree. The Bass Company is likely the best bang for buck basses going right now with G&L Tributes coming in 2nd.

r

8. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA

I just notcied you live in Australia, are you talking Austraulian dollars or USD?

9. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    $1000 ? Get a Warwick Corvette $$

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman Stingray 5

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    If you can find a warwick corvette 5 string for less than $1000 definetly go for it. However, in that price range a very good choice is the Carvin LB75. The quality of construction and playability can't be matched.

12. Guys, he lives in Australia!

Even if you triple the amount of some of the basses you are talking about, they still cost even more than that here!

For about $1k, I would suggest looking at the new Yamaha BB415/615 basses, Cort Artisan B5, Ibanez SR505 or an Ibanez BTB405.

The Yammies go for around $700-$850 depending on the model and where you look, but I've also seen the Corts for around $800-$850 which is a great price considering the Bartolini pups, 3-band EQ and active/passive switch. Plus the woods used are real nice. The SR505 is very similar in terms of woods and electronics, but is a bit more expensive.

The following place is great (plus it's in Melbourne): http://www.basscentre.com.au/

13. +1 to the bass centre. I have nothing but praise for them

They have a couple of really nice used 5 strings there - I was GASsing over a BTB405QM that's till going.