Deciding on Bass. Need help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zebbie, Feb 25, 2004.

1. zebbie

Oct 30, 2003
    I know you guys have probably seen threads like these thousands of times already but I'm in a rather desperate situation. I am going to buy a bass before the end of the week and I've narrowed down my choices to these few:

1) Fender Roscoe Beck V
    2) Fender American Deluxe V
    3) G&L ASAT 4
    4) Fender Std. Deluxe 4

They're all in the range of about $700 used cept for the MIM Fender of course. I know it would be best if I could go try them out and then decide for myself but unfortunately, that would be impossible.

I am rather small sized therefore weight/size of the bass MIGHT be an issue. But of course, tone takes precedence here. :)

Comments/feedback/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and anyone with a bass in that price range would be more than welcome to contact me about a possible sale. I'm always open to offers. :)

Thanks again!
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Well, The Fenders are Fenders, the ASAT is a Fender on steroids! I'd get the ASAT all the way. Way more options with tone, it can be ran passive or active, 1 pup or 2. The tone is way more aggresive on the ASAT and you still have the option to get the classic Fender tone out of it in passive mode. ASAT hands down. :bassist:
  3. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

I have an ASAT and it is a great bass. But it has ergonomic issues. The lack of an upper horn effectively moves the headstock several inches to your left when it hangs on a strap. This can make the lower positions quite a reach. Mine ia also not light.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'2", 200 lbs) so I can deal with it. Even so, sometimes I find it annoying. I do absolutely love the sound of the bass and the looks are killer, so for me it's a keeper. Just make sure you try one on for size first.

Might I suggest a Rumblefish? Super tone, light as a feather.

Good luck with your decision.

4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I heard about these issues and the neck dive. What I hear is if you get a #6 neck (think Fender jazz) it helps out a lot. Also the semi hollow would be lighter and even gives it a slightly richer tone and lowers the weight a lot. Which model ASAT are you thinking about. I'm gassin for an ASAT. Mine will be semi hollow with a #6 neck to eliminate some of those issues.
  5. well, i don't know much about the other three, but i would suggest not choosing the mim fender. I have a fretless mim jazz, and unless you plan to put some money into upgrades (especially the pickups)
    from what i read, i kind of like the ASAT, mainly for the tonal variety. It sounds like you can get just about any tone you want, including the sound of the two other choices of yours.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want a 5 string, get the Roscoe Beck. Killer passive 5 for the $$$.

If you want a 4 string, I would recommend the ASAT, with 2 caveats.

Like rrybicki said, the body design effectively moves the headstock to the left several frets. If you have short arms, you may have some difficulty reaching the first few frets.

Also, they tend towards neck dive. You need to take a strap to a shop, and try some basses out on a strap until you find one with pretty bad neck dive. Play it for a while before you make your decision.

Bad ergonomics are a deal breaker on a bass for a lot of people. I love the tone of a Warwick Thumb, but the huge neck and bad neck dive make my back, left shoulder, wrist and hand hurt. There are too many great basses on the market to have to play through pain, and risk permanent damage to my body. Especially my hand and wrist.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A hollow body would help with the weight, but it will make the neck dive worse.
  8. zebbie

Oct 30, 2003
    Thanks for the replies guys. From what I gather from the comments that you guys have made, I'll most probably be getting an ASAT. Thanks for all the feedback!