Deciding on my preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thadood, Nov 5, 2003.

1. thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I've done the searches on here, and I still don't know what to get. So far, I've rounded it down to an Aguilar OBP-3 and an EMG BQC. I've read on the Aguilar a bit, and read that it has a tone close to what I'm looking for, but the EMG would work better with my bass, since I wouldn't have to drill a new hole for a switch (it uses mid freq/mid cut concentric, treb/mid concentric, master volume, then balance, four pots total, compared to 4 pots + mid toggle switch)

If it helps any, the tone I want is that gritty, deep growl with a high end that's not overly-harsh. I'm also planning on switching ou the EMG-hzs with Barts later on down the road, when I have cash to spare.
  2. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I don't know, Bro...

I'm thinking that maybe you should hold off for now, keep saving and then get the Barts w/ a prewired Bart harness together. It matches your tone description and there won't be any soldering nightmares, tech fees, or headaches with switching pot values when you switch out the other stuff. You it once, do it right, and make the pain go away.

I've done the PU and preamp switching game many times in many basses. I finally went with a complete PU/Electronic system in one of my basses and I couldn't be happier w/ the results. I could've saved quite a few dollars had I just done it sooner.

I went to an all Bart system and I'm amazed at how well the EQ is tailored to the PU's - it's seamless. Even heavy EQ'ing sounds very natural and musically's almost like they were made for each other.;)
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You don't have to drill a new hole for the switch, you can use a push/pull volume pot to switch the mid frequency.