deciding on top-wood...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Jan 18, 2006.

1. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    So I've finally found someone bold enough to commission a bass off me, and I'm having trouble deciding on a top-wood selection. I'd appreciate some input/advice, as my mind is going crazy in the wood selection process for this one.
    Here's the specs:
    the neck is a 5-piece laminate of maple/macassar ebony...
    the body 'core' I have on hand is canary wood. (1" thick)
    I was thinking of using a calico padauk bookmatched back, which I think will look nice against the canarywood core.
    It will have a black veneer laminate between the padauk back and canary core.
    For a fretboard, I have a nice pre-slotted padauk board on hand.

I have no idea what to use for the top!
    The woods I have on hand are: (see pics)
    Quilted maple bookmatch

I'd like to use something I have on hand, and I'm leaning towards the bocote or spruce, as I think the quilted maple will look weird against the flame maple neck (the maple on the neck is a little more 'white' than the quilted top as well).
    But then the spruce isn't the same shade of white either....
    Do you think the bocote would look disgusting?
    Suggest other woods?
  2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Here's the tops I have on hand:
  3. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    The swirly one in the second post is awesome.
    My choice.
  4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I like to e-mail my customers a few options. Make a template/outline of the body shape and lay it on the top woods with the fingerboard laying in the correct area where it will end up....... like the photo below.......then offer them the choice. It gives the customer the joy of helping to create the bass with you. Be sure you get some kind of deposit before you do any cutting. Either get them to provide you the hardware or send you cash or pay pal you some.........t Good luck
  5. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I've sent said guy (Paul) all of those pictures plus several more via e-mail as of yesterday and haven't heard back from him.
    I've even called him but he's MIA as of now, so I thought I'd post here and try and get some opinions.
    He's pretty much given me free reign on this, and I'm wishing he would be more particular about the woods he wants, but he doesn't know much of anything about the different 'exotic' woods available.
    He originally wanted a solid black bass, and I told him I'm not set up to 'spray' and do not know HOW to do finishes like that, nor do I want to.
    Hopefully I'll hear from him soon, guess I'm just getting antsy.

BTW..........this is gonna be a left-handed bass :)