1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Deciding on which amplifier/head would be best for my punk band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Payge Hollett, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Payge Hollett

Payge Hollett

Jun 18, 2016
    Toronto, ON
    I'm the bassist in a punk band and I am looking for a decent, not pricey amplifier or bass head. I've narrowed it down to three different options. I figured I can buy a mediocre cabinet later on, but this is what I've found so far. I want to know which is the best deal.
    Peavey 300 watt bass amp head, 4 ohms, 2 inputs, foot pedal switch. $175
    $_27.

Ampeg SVR450 bass amp head, 450 watt at 4 ohms or 250 watt at 8 ohms. $375
    $_27.

Yorkville bass amp, detachable head, 400 watt combo amp, 1x12 speaker. $300

[​IMG]

I can't really afford too, too much because I'm a university student living alone so I'm trying for under $400. My band mate has a bass cabinet at 4 ohms that I could borrow, other than that, I'm trying to see which of these three deals are the best. I'm most attached to the Ampeg bass head, but I wanted another bassist's/musician's opinion on it. Thanks, let me know!

2. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Buy the Century, get a couple of Peavey 215's if you can find them for cheap (you should be able to), and have a killer rig for really cheap. Those older Peavey solid state heads are awesome.

fretless19, /\/\3phist0 and deathness like this.
  3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    That Peavey, by a large margin, great amps. Ad saves the most to put toward the cab, that will determine how loud you can go.

/\/\3phist0 and Gearhead17 like this.
  4. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Have you considered a GK 800RB?

10cc likes this.
  5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you can find a beaten up Ampeg fridge you'd be all set. Depending what your guitarists are using if you have an 8x10 (throw at least 300w at it) it probably wont matter what they are using.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  6. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    For punk, especially on a budget, clean volume is your first priority. Your tone is going to come from your bass and your technique. Fresh strings will get you 90% of that brightness you want. Don't splurge on that Ampeg, it doesn't sound any better than the others. The 1x12 with the Yorkville just isn't enough speaker. If those are your only options, get the Peavey and put the rest of the money toward the best 4-ohm 4x10 cabinet you can find. That should give you plenty of volume, and you can tweak your setting without running out of headroom.

7. I vote the cheapest Peavey you can find. Punk venues are notorious for gear theft. Don't turn your back for a second. Chain gear to other gear when not in use so it's hard to walk off wtih.

8. Ordinarily I would jump on the Peavey.

But the Yorkville makes a practice amp at home and just take the amp to use with your buddy's cab. Lots of EQ on that to get the mids screaming loud without blowing it up with lows. Ie NOT what is set on in that photo! You will have that bottom EQ slider much closer to the bottom than the middle.

9. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    I've played in the same punk band since 1996 if that means anything, and I vote peavey. Then grab a 2-15 and you're set.

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Nooooooo! Filth! Absolute Filth. You want the worst sounding rig you can find, and dirt cheap. It should should like dirt and cost as much. That ampeg is absolutely horrendous, and worth about $5 Canadian. Buy that one.

11. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    Y
    yeah..no.

fretless19 and Eminor3rd like this.
  12. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    What does that have to do with volume and clean headroom? Should he get a Rogue practice amp so no one can hear him?

PUNK BY THE BOOK!

fretless19 likes this.
  13. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    Where are these venues? Worst thing I've had stolen is a cord and a wall wart, in 26 years.

10cc likes this.
  14. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Just get the Peavey already!

15. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Get the Peavey. It'll probably be loud and take pedals well.
    And it's cheap.

Pair it with some big loud cabs.

16. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Im gonna go out on a limb here and recommend you give serious consideration to peavey. Srsly you can pick up a good model (marks, centurions, 400, etc, etc) for under $200 then spend the rest on the most cab you can get. Beat up ampeg fridge as mentioned above is a good un. Peavey 2x15 is another.

Sartori likes this.
  17. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Out of those I'd totally get the peavey

Sartori likes this.
  18. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Munjibunga likes this.
  19. Need a clean and bright tone? A 'priority'? In punk? Surely you're thinking of some type of pop punk Blink 182 sh*t, and not real punk? There's no rules in punk - do whatever works for you. Doesn't mean it has to sound bad or cheap - I play a Fender Bassman, but there's no set rules.

Oh and if I were in your position I'd get the Peavy. But as always, if you can try them all and see what YOU like the tone of best.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Sartori likes this.
  20. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Wow. Armageddon is near. @Linnin posted without saying "Fender."