1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Deciding on which Nord's for a custom Callowhill J (Junk) 5-

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Robin Ruscio, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I'm going to be placing an order for a Callowhill Junk 5- their jazz style bass.

I'll be using it for mostly finger style playing (though i Pick and slap as well) where a traditional Fender type tone is the norm- i.e. cover bands, groove situations. Everything from RnB to country to motown to pop to rock. I want something that is warm and full but powerful and punchy without being too aggressive. I don't play metal, though some bands I'm in play some punk.

If it's not asking too much, I'd love to have a bass that can get closer to P sound in the neck slot than you're average bass as well- something that holds up enough bottom and full spectrum sounds on it's own.

Here's the basic specs:
    5 string, Ash body, maple neck, Brazilian Rosewood board, Bolt-on, Sadowsky pre

One of the only things left to decide is the pickups, and I'm struggling. I know I want Nordstrands, which is what the maker is the biggest fan of- and I'm starting to believe after listening to clips. Problem is, I haven't been able to play any of these in person.

I'm considering the Big Splits first and foremost, since I like hum canceling for quietness and usually prefer hum canceling single coils for it's mellowness compared to a true single coil. A little high end roll off usually suits my taste. (I like my current Sadowsky hum canceling more than their true single coil, for example.) I've also heard these can get sort of P like in the neck.

The fat stacks seem like an option given that I'm often looking for warmth, though I've gathered their less popular than the Big Singles/Big Splits for some reason. I know they have low output, though that's not much of a concern as I will have a pre onboard as well as in my signal chain.

Any advice?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if you like sad humcancelling more than singles, any of careys humcancelling pickups would be great. i would lean more towards his pre though which is a little more neutral flat and within the first quarter turn or so of boost than the sad pre. i had some big splits in a fodera i used to have and combined with the pope pre, that bass was unbelievably bright. i was rolling off a ton of passive tone and treble on the pre.

3. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I was considering the Nord pre for the mid circuit but I've never played on one. I think the voicing of the Sadowsky bass knob is about the best bass knob on any pre or amp I've ever owned (which Tim Cloonan at Callowhill agrees with), and since that's the main thing I use from an active pre I think that might be the reason I go there.

I do hear a little crunchiness added to my Sadowsky pre just by having it on (boost or not) , which is why I run it passive on my old school country gig, for example. Mellows it out a touch. Of course, Carey's pre offers the bypass as well, which is why it was my number 2 choice.

I saw your post about the big splits in the Fodera/Pope. I could see that being the case, though I'm guessing you had brighter woods than me in your Fodera. Mine's pretty dark with Duncan duals and my woods, and I rarely find myself using the tone knob. Here's my review of the bass:

Fodera Emperor II Demo & Review.mov - YouTube

I actually wish the pope had a little more in it DB wise.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the darkness is the pickups. i had aero duals, big splits, and duncan duals in that bass. the duncans had that dark, stereotypical if you will, fodera sound.

funny, you dig one of the things i dislike about the pope pre. its voiced too low for me.

5. blubolt

blubolt

May 18, 2005
    Turlock, CA
    Chunger sells a Nordi custom that is super nice. I have one. Its super nice and sits really well in the mix.

TalkBass Forums - View Profile: chunger

the GFS overwounds are a really really good bargain in their price range too.