1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deciding when it's time to let a bass go?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I have had a Pedulla six string bass for the past year or so that has never really set right with me. I paid $500 for it, and then when the preamp went on the fritz I had to get a new one ($250 for the pre and installation), but it seems like I can't get a great tone out of it. It sounds decent; no, more than that: it sounds good. I got a lot of compliments when people hear it. But... It never sounded GREAT, at least not to me. On top of that the neck is glossy (which I don't care for) and the high C string is too twangy below the seventh or so fret (I like it a lot above the 12th, though).

I got a five string today that so far does almost all that I was able to get out of the Pedulla in a more comfortable way: thinner neck, tung oil neck, lighter weight, basically more ergonomic.

Add to that the fact that I'd like to get an upright for my jazz playing, and I'm thinking about putting the Pedulla up for sale, but I don't want to act too impulsively and do something that I might later regret. At what point do you decide that a bass is or is not for you, especially if you WANT to like it?

2. Well, it sounds like you don't like this bass at all... so it doesn't seem like too hard a choice.

tangentmusic likes this.
  3. Red Four

Red Four

Apr 4, 2011
    Missouri
    You are at that point. Sounds like you got it for a good price, but if you don't like it, it's a liability.

Basses can be objectively better or worse in terms of quality of materials and construction, but not in terms of suitability for a given player. That's up to you. Life is too short, and there are far too many other basses out there, to spend time trying to convince yourself you should like something you don't. Sounds like there's just not much at all to hang your hat on when it comes to aspects of the bass you could grow to like. Let it go, don't look back, and you will find plenty else to occupy your interest in the future.

4. From what you said, I would have sold it when the preamp imploded instead of investing more money into it.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    IME at your point that bass would have already been gone.

It's not your fault, I'm not bashin' you in any way, believe me. It's just that, as far as I'm concerned, I let basses go sometimes even if more convincin' than yours, even if better quality than yours, just because a fantastic offer on somethin' else is on its way, or simply because that (or those) peculiar bass it's not the best for what I'm after, bein' it joinin' a project involved in a specific music or recordin' for a one of a kind of an artist.

The bass you seem to appreciate more sounds to be like a Warwick or some, so the approach should be far away from your Pedulla: maybe you've found your one, maybe not.

Sure I never wanted to like any bass in particular, just try the more that I could.

The only time in my life when I wanted to like something (somebody in this case) it's been with my wife: you know what? I'm divorcin' right now

Yours is a lesser problem: let it go.

Cheers,
    Wallace

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. Woolber

Woolber Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
    If you really want to like it but don't, it's time.

davy4575 and tangentmusic like this.
  7. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    some instruments just never feel right. I have one now where the neck feels great and I like the tone, but I always seem to be fighting the body when I'm playing it -- feels like it won't hold still, like we're wrestling.
    I think some people hold on to these sort of 'misfits' and adapt not knowing if there's anything better or convinced by reputation and word or mouth that what they have is 'good'. There's something to be said for that. Given time one begins to get a better feel for what works and what doesn't. I really don't understand how people can judge an instrument by a few minutes in a music store, but maybe that's a skill that comes with experience as well.
    The one I'm fighting is the only one I played in a music store before I bought it. I liked the feel of the neck. I didn't notice what annoys me now.
    I've bought 2 other basses online since then that fit me and suit me much better, just by being careful about descriptions and dimension/specifications and 'good' brands and considerable luck. The latest one I've only had a few days, but everything about it seems to just be right. I'm even starting to like the rounds that came on it and I've never liked rounds before. Those I may change, but I'm going to live with them for a while first.

8. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    The bass was made in 93, and I just accepted that the pre had gone bad with age and needed replacing.

I'm a little sentimental about this bass. It was my first "nice" bass, and my first extended range bass as well. See, I was convinced that I needed a six string even before I started playing, but at the behest of my teacher I got a MIM P bass to start on. After several months of playing I found this in a pawn shop and sold the P.

I like playing chords and melodies. I like soloing. I don't like the way my hands have to stretch to reach the low B string. I don't like the glossy finish on the neck. I like (but don't love) the tone. I don't like the weight.

I'm thinking about trying to sell it and getting a cheap used bass like an Ibanez Mikro 5 and restringing it as a piccolo for when I want to play around in the higher register, rather than have one instrument trying to cover both.

9. Ask any stockbroker and he/or she would be say not to be sentimental over any stock/issue. I think the same could be said about basses or any material thing for that matter. I agree what the others have said - let it go. In fact, I think you should have done that long time ago when you "felt" you weren't getting the utility/satisfaction out of the instrument. The thing about "sentimental value" is that it sometimes gets in the way of doing the most rational thing. Again, any stockbroker or financial professional would say the same thing.

Pull the trigger and don't look back.

10. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I have recently sold a lot of guitar/bass stuff that I was hanging onto forever... and if feels great! So nice to move on.

11. As a rule, we almost never end up liking things we "want to like."

Be honest with yourself. Are this bass's many shortcomings (as you describe them) worth the space it's taking up in your home and the cash money it represents should you be able to sell it?

Sack up, sell it and move on.

tangentmusic likes this.
  12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    When you don't play it much.
    I'm in the same boat right now.
    Too many basses, no gigs, thinking of moving one.

tangentmusic likes this.
  13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I agree with the consensus here. As I worked my way into bass playing from a guitar background, I slowly learned that what appealed to me in the abstract was often lacking in the flesh. Once I decide a bass isn't working for me, it's as good as gone. I've done the same with guitars -- in my past are a Stratocaster, a Ric electric 12, a '63 Chet Atkins Country Gent, a Les Paul and so on, and now I've got a 335 that suits me and a Carvin SH550 for an alternate sound that also fits me and I'm no longer in the market.

The same with basses: I have five, and one is not cutting it, so it'll be gone as soon as someone trades me some cash for it. The other four have been regularly gigged (a single-coil Precision, two split-coil Precisions, and a StingRay 5) and will remain in the armory.

A bass that doesn't suit you may be the perfect mate for someone else. Let it go, and let its future soul mate find it. :D

14. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    It's like when you're younger and can't decide if you want to date someone or not... if you are in doubt, it's better for everyone involved that you move on.

15. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Men: you're much much wiser than me...
    This is right one of those moments in which I feel proud to be part of this community

This is wisdom doin' the talkin'
    Thank all of you friends

Cheers,
    Wallace

16. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    If you're questioning its function & purpose in your arsenal, It's already on it's way out.
    Extra cash in hand makes up for feelings of an instrument's doubt.

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    If you no longer like the bass, it's time to let it go.

18. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    It it's not all beat up for $750 I'd give it a try. I just got a Hexabuzz and feel like that is the bass I always needed.

19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    when it stops taking food and water, its time

20. davy4575

davy4575

Nov 4, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I had a fender jazz fretless like that, beautiful looking bass, just never grooved with her. she worked perfectly, recorded nice, just wasnt me. I just up and sold her one day to some guy doing semi accoustic coffee shop type stuff thats real big out here in denver. he loved it right away. worked out perfectly. I bought drumheads for my kit and a bunch of strings for the other basses lol.